Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 ram 150 4x4 with about 150k on the clock. It gives a nasty blue puff when started, and is using about 1qt. of Rotella T/500mi. I know that this thing has the roller engine in it, and my first question is whether I can put a non roller cam 318 in it and still use the TBI intake manifold. I would rather the truck remain TBI, than to change it to the 4bbl. I was thinking of an early 80's or late 70's 318.

Next, will the shorty headers for a magnum engine work on the heads of a non magnum? I cannot find a source for the shorty's for pre mag engines, and do not know if there is any difference in the heads for the magnums.

Lastly, Acme Truck Parts http://www.acmetruck.com listls a dual exhaust kit for the dodge with the years runnig up to 1991, I have ordered parts from them before and have been pleased, but was wanting to know anyones expirience with this kit. I dont have a converter or smog pump any longer, and this is about $100 cheaper then the muffler shops here.

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
here are a few listings for shorty headers

summit part numbers here

PSM-70-1312 Headers, Shorty, Steel, Painted, Dodge Trucks, Pair Monday $202.39
PSM-70-1315 Headers, Shorty, Steel, Painted, Dodge Trucks, Pair 5-23 $216.69
i dont know if these are for non magnums or not but might check

other than that i can find some listed for a/b/e body cars that are shorty's, dont kow how thye would work in a truck though.

as far as putting the non roller cam engine in, i know people have taken the tbi set up and used it on older trucks, so i am guessing you could do it in yours

eric

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
There was some modifications done when they went to TBI. First obvious is the rollar cam. The camshaft is also shorter and doesn't have provision for a fuel pump. They also did away with the silent chains that had plastic teeth on them. There needs to be some stability in the cam and distributor for fuel injection to work its best. The better timing chain and rollar camshaft help this. If you want to use an older engine, install a double rollar timing chain in it. Magnum and pre magnum engines have the same exhaust bolt pattern. If your going to install headers. Just get full length headers designed for your truck. Your going to have to modify your exhaust either way because the magnum headers exit in the rear and come really close to your firewall. 92-95 magnum shorty headers have provision for EGR valve which won't work with a pre magnum engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just tried to install a pair of 96-99 MP headers P5249964 on my 87. Passenger side fits great.
The driver's side will not fit. The problems is frame to collector interference right above the brake valve/splitter. It also points directly at the shifter linkage.

I see Intenseimages has listed headers from Pacesetters. They advertise a 3/8" flange but how are they for quaility. I'm tired of cheap headers. Hence the reason for trying the MP headers.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
correct me if l,m wrong but dont the TBI motors have a different bolt angle on the intake thats why you hafta use newer heads on an older motor to use the stock TBI intake

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
correct...the magnum heads have a different intake manifold bolt pattern

·
Registered
421 Posts
firemanbatt said:
I have a '91 ram 150 4x4 with about 150k on the clock. It gives a nasty blue puff when started, and is using about 1qt. of Rotella T/500mi. I know that this thing has the roller engine in it, and my first question is whether I can put a non roller cam 318 in it and still use the TBI intake manifold. I would rather the truck remain TBI, than to change it to the 4bbl. I was thinking of an early 80's or late 70's 318.
My question is: Why change the cam if the problem is oil consumption? From your description I'd lay dollars-to-doughnuts what you have is worn valve guides.

Now, if it's a matter of "while I'm in there I wanna upgrade my valvetrain" then I can understand, but I believe MP has performance cam packages for the Magnum Engines. Why re-invent the wheel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heddman has shorty headers for Mopar Smallblocks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where are you located? I have a 318 roller (88) I'll practically give away, it's got a lifter tap, but didn't smoke other than black from being to rich at full throttle. It came out of a Fifth Ave. if you interested. Its in the Kansas City area.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
PlymouthEnvy?? said:
My question is: Why change the cam if the problem is oil consumption? From your description I'd lay dollars-to-doughnuts what you have is worn valve guides.

Now, if it's a matter of "while I'm in there I wanna upgrade my valvetrain" then I can understand, but I believe MP has performance cam packages for the Magnum Engines. Why re-invent the wheel?
I also follow this with the same question.....WHY in the world would you question the cam when you have valve stem seal issues? ? ? ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts