Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is recommended to restore the frame metal from rust on the underbody?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "restore".  Ideally you remove the body and suspension, blast the frame, etc.  Assuming you mean local areas, you could grind/sand to a clean/cleaner less-rusty surface and you can apply naval jelly (phosphoric acid).

If you can remove the body areas and sand very, very well, you can prime and paint with chassis paint.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
If the rust on the frame is bad to the point of weakening the frame, there not really much that can be done other than swapping for a better frame.  Anything more than surface rust should be evaluated to determine how much it has weakened the frame.  I've run into several trucks that have rusted frames that were useless as well as many suspension mounting brackets that were rusted though.  Rear spring hangers are especially vulnerable to this.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My rust appears to be surface rust....

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I've used spray on 'rust converter' and painted over it, and seemed to work.

·
Registered
904 Posts
hope it aint like the frame on my 97 Wrangler; I had to replace that frame a year ago. yet the body? still in fantastic shape.

·
Registered
385 Posts
surface rust will go away as soon as you develop a rear main leak. ;D

x2 on the rust converter stuff

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
The engine bay and front suspension parts on my truck was in great shape.  So much oil and hydraulic fluid leaks plus road grease kept the entire area coated lol.  Now I worry it might start to rust with having fixed everything :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a solution...Thanks 440!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts