Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The frame underneath my rear spring hangers is rotting pretty bad so you think it’s worth repairing. The rest of the truck is mint just had a new paint job and all mechanical work done. Or should I look for a new rear section of frame from another truck. Thanks you for any help

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
I wouldn't bother repairing a frame, unless it's just a small spot that needs cut out and replaced.  I'd just swap it for a good one before I would risk trying to splice a frame section in. 

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The 6" channel frames are quite common. I'd probably just find another one. If its just the hangers, they can be cut off and replaced.

If you're doing something custom/different you could go with brand new steel channel or tube. The hump over the axle is redundant on a 4x4.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Andy (aspoonhour) inspired me with something he did along the way of dropping a Cummins in an RC. This is the thread but unfortunately there are no pics in the thread.
https://ramchargercentral.com/rcs-tds-durangos-etc/'ole-red-the-cummins-rc-tranny-is-in!!!-it-works-too!-051009/msg775804/#msg775804

Since I've been lurking here since 2005, I had copied and pasted into MY RC folder the frame chop he had done. I've attached the images I saved. Andy "stairstepped" the frame cut, then fishplated the weld on the outside. I am enclosing my pic of doing the same thing.

I'm not as inhibited at doing frame work than some of our more seasoned, incredibly knowledgeable users (MEGA respect for Elwenil), simply because in the semi-tractor trailer world framework is pretty common. Granted, it's not being wheeled and flexed like many of the rides built on here, but it also takes a lot of beating from weight and miles.

So, as an alternative, you COULD graft in a new frame section. I wouldn't argue with anyone who said that a frame swap would be easier, faster, etc., but I've done both and I'm ambivalent either way. Just wanted to share in case you or someone felt more comfortable with this or had frame parts lying around in the back 40 acres and had a welder that needed to be put to use. ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed , frame work IS common on large trucks , and I've repaired my w250 which was rotted/cracked thru . 3/8ths plate on both outsides ,from under cab to rear bumper 10' ,  new cross members , boxed 3"channel , no detectable problems with springs / perches by adding the 6/8ths width .. years ago , no money ,'95, used what I had on hand ... overbuilt . broken AT the spring perch ? 1/4 plate on the outside , 1-1/2 angle makes the flange, weld , drill for the perches .. done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.