Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Congrats on having some beautiful classics.

Now were they invented and put into service before or after the SKS?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
willy J said:
Congrats on having some beautiful classics.

Now were they invented and put into service before or after the SKS?
Thanks.

Five years before the SKS, the SVT-40 entered service in 1940 as a upgrade to the SVT-38 which was used from 1938-1940, both designed by Tokarev. Before that there was the AVS-36 used from '36-38 which was a select-fire 15 shot rifle designed by Simov, the designer of the later SKS-45, all three fire the same 7.62X54R round as a Mosin-Nagant, not the 7.62X39 used in the SKS-45 and AK-47.

The model designations used on Russian weapons are easy to read, the first letter A or S, S is for semi-auto and A is full-auto, next is V or K, V is a rifle and K is a carbine, next is who designed it and lastly the year it entered service. There are many more but I won't bore everyone with all of them.. ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
The offer still stands. If you EVER get tired of having one or both of those you can send them my way.

I had never heard of them until your post on my SKS question a while back. But, after reading, I want one or several. I didn't realize how much they were gonna be worth though.

Very nice rifles you have

eric

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one more SVT-40, it's not as nice as these two but it's a sniper with matching #s made by Izhevsk armory in '41, it's worth more than these two together as it a Finnish capture recaptured by the Russians.

The others are a '40 Kovrov and '41 Tula, both were rebuilt to as-new and stored for decades, the '41 Tula is the one that got me started collecting SVT's over 16 years ago, bought it from a pawn shop for $350 bucks.. :eek:  Try finding one today for that price.

Eric if I ever have to part with one you are first on the list.. ;)

Leon

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
lol... I get runner up!

Nice info. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
willy J said:
lol... I get runner up!

Nice info. Thank you.
I am going to run out of SVT's very fast if I ever get in a bind for cash/truck parts.. {lol}

I try to learn as much about historic weapons as I can, in my mind the SVT-40 was the greatest Russian rifle of WWII, it's sad that their own troops were more likely to be killed by one in the hands of a enemy than the other way around due to lack of training with semi-autos.

At the outbreak of WWII the M1 and SVT were the only semi-auto battle rifles, the rest of the world was using bolt actions, the M1 Garand is very well known but most have never heard of the SVT-40, only the Mosin-Nagant, but where a Mosin goes for $75 and up a SVT is ten times that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
those are beuatiful killin machines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts