Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thank you for the suggestions I found TDC and verified that it was real and that the dist. was located properly. After that I rewired all of the plug wires and found 8 not seated all the way and 2,4 switched. Its running muc smoother now.

The concern that still remains is that the Valves are make a ton of noise, not sure were to even start.

I currently have 10-30 in for a 500 mile break in, but should I go up to a 10-40. Do the lifters need to have a thicker oil to fill properly?

Were should I start, this one kind of concerns me .

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking to myself...

what if I am the problem. I just put a dipstick in that I got from a junk yard, I didn't have one. Maybe it is the wrong one and I don't have enough oil in there yet.

Oil preassure is still a little on the low side according to the gauge in the dash.

My truck is an 84 ramchager with a 360, Could someone run outside and measure there dipstick for me. Just a sanity check, I have 5quarts in now and the stick says I am way over filled. That doesn't seem right.

thanks

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ugly84 said:
I was just thinking to myself...

what if I am the problem. I just put a dipstick in that I got from a junk yard, I didn't have one. Maybe it is the wrong one and I don't have enough oil in there yet.

Oil preassure is still a little on the low side according to the gauge in the dash.

My truck is an 84 ramchager with a 360, Could someone run outside and measure there dipstick for me. Just a sanity check, I have 5quarts in now and the stick says I am way over filled. That doesn't seem right.

thanks
ok that dipstick is reading wrong then, unless yo udidnt drain oil before adding new stuff ;D

on a 360 for the oil change it calls for 5 quarts +1 extra if filter is changed as well. i would add that much then look at dipstick, and mark dipstick at that point.

i have this same problem with my ramcharger. i used a dipstick out of an engine with a center sump pan on it and now that i have a rear sump pan it reads about 4 quarts over full when i add the proper amount.

eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I now have 6 quarts of 10-30 in there,but still all that noise. Dash gauge oil pressure is about 2 1/2 marks up? just hooked up a mechanical gauge and it read 0 at idle, jumps to twenty five with a little gas and comes down two twenty. Back at idle it returns to zero.

Kind of makes me lean twards the oil pump, but this is a new rebuild and was suppose to be a new pump.

any more ideas???

thanks

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ugly84 said:
Ok I now have 6 quarts of 10-30 in there,but still all that noise. Dash gauge oil pressure is about 2 1/2 marks up? just hooked up a mechanical gauge and it read 0 at idle, jumps to twenty five with a little gas and comes down two twenty. Back at idle it returns to zero.

Kind of makes me lean twards the oil pump, but this is a new rebuild and was suppose to be a new pump.

any more ideas???

thanks
i would be leaning toward the pump or a blocked oil passage

eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts