Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I’ve got a 85 RC with a 318.

Recently replaced my intake manifold gaskets and cleaned out my clogged EGR ports and lately my truck has really been idling poorly and will eventually die if left at idle long enough. Seems to warm up fine and then will then start to run rough and it almost sounds like a mis fire. While idling I removed the EGR vacuum hose and the engine died immediately. I can’t remember if that means the EGR is bad or if it’s working properly wanted to get advice before I go and replace it.

The truck also has a hesitation on initial throttle but any stop and go after that there is not hesitation. I know hesitation is a common bad EGR symptom but wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on this.

I also notice this symptoms are worse when the engine is started during the day in the summer with high temps. 90+ degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I'd look for low vacume , use a vacume gauge ( cheap if you don't already have one ) . you can see the stem of the egr , it should move up with vac applied / down with vac off ( hose plugged) . what your describing could be any number of adjustment of things , inc timing , especially after the work that was done , don't panic put a gauge on it .

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
on a hose that comes from the intake manifold . I guess you could replace the pvc valve with the gauge .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dodge82273 said:
on a hose that comes from the intake manifold . I guess you could replace the pvc valve with the gauge .
Got it, I'll buy a gauge and try that out. Is there a specific number I am looking for vaccum?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
gauge has colors on it red yeller green , your going for the best/most into the  green you can get,  yellow -tune -red look for a vacume leak ...  a handy tool folks have all but forgotten ...

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
dodge82273 said:
gauge has colors on it red yeller green , your going for the best/most into the green you can get, yellow -tune -red look for a vacume leak ... a handy tool folks have all but forgotten ...
Yep. Sounds like a vacuum leak- running lean.
Especially since it started happening after you changed the intake gasket.
Spray some WD 40 around the top of the runners of your intake while the engine is idling. If the engine revs up a little... you found your leak.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Yep. Sounds like a vacuum leak- running lean.
Especially since it started happening after you changed the intake gasket.
Spray some WD 40 around the top of the runners of your intake while the engine is idling. If the engine revs up a little... you found your leak.
I am fairly confident that it sealed but I will quadruple check on this. It was running even worse prior to changing the gaskets barely would even start / would stall after 5 seconds or so.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
thegrid22593 said:
I am fairly confident that it sealed but I will quadruple check on this. It was running even worse prior to changing the gaskets barely would even start / would stall after 5 seconds or so.
There are more than one place to have leaks. I'd plug all the vacuum lines right at the manifold and reconnect them one at a time. When it runs rough, you know you've found the circuit with the leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.