Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an old school tomboy rototiller it has a 5 hp briggs engine for $50 The guy says it needs points and a condenser any one have an idea how much and where to get the points and condenser?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I didn't look on here but I have found a hell of a lot of the mower parts I've needed here, very knowledgeable folks.

www.jackssmallengines.com/

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that will help once I have the rototiller and can look at the engine number. but before I can do that I need to give my wive a "total cost" estimate. 

basically what I'm asking is for those parts and a tune up will it be another $50 or what?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would expect under $20

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then I'm gunna get it this evening. should be a fun toy to build and use.

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
I bought a Montgomery Wards 6hp brigs 8 years ago that smoked for $20 it's still running and smoking today. LOL......... It needs some rings for sure though it's bad now and fouls out plugs.

Points and condenser should be $15 tops.  ;)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the most effort I have ever put into a small engine is to pull the plug and clean it then put it back in.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I never pass up a small engine powered tool i see at the curb. 9 times out of 10, that junk lawnmower needs the carb cleaned out and its worth $40 minimum on craigslist.

I just got myself a rototiller yesterday to till/grade my yard. Guy said it was 2 years old, but the paint wasnt even worn off the tines yet. Somthing to note: dont advertise that you have it to your family. You will be doin a dozen gardens a year before you know it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
luckily her family lives in connecticut and mine in colorado... I can brag all I want too. ;D

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
I'm going to have to make some rims for the trail rig like that next year...  ;D

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Asymetric said:
I never pass up a small engine powered tool i see at the curb. 9 times out of 10, that junk lawnmower needs the carb cleaned out and its worth $40 minimum on craigslist.

I just got myself a rototiller yesterday to till/grade my yard. Guy said it was 2 years old, but the paint wasnt even worn off the tines yet. Somthing to note: dont advertise that you have it to your family. You will be doin a dozen gardens a year before you know it.
Yeah, I've picked up a few things over the years that primarily needed a little cleaning and that was it. Chain saws and trimmers that sat for a few years with old gas in them - clean out the tank and carb, replace the fuel lines and filter, and they fire right up. Mower that only needed a governor spring. Most 'dead' small engines are pretty easy to breath life back into for little cash.

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
cjohhny said:
Yeah, I've picked up a few things over the years that primarily needed a little cleaning and that was it. Chain saws and trimmers that sat for a few years with old gas in them - clean out the tank and carb, replace the fuel lines and filter, and they fire right up. Mower that only needed a governor spring. Most 'dead' small engines are pretty easy to breath life back into for little cash.
I picked up a John Deer 200 last fall with a manual for $20 put $40 in it this year and I'm owing with it. ;D

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I picked up a John Deer 200 last fall with a manual for $20 put $40 in it this year and I'm owing with it. ;D
Gotta love it! ;D

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
cjohhny said:
Gotta love it! ;D
{yes} now if I could find a 16hp Kohler for my JD 300 I'd be happy. ;D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Web Wheeler said:
thats funny as hell my neighbor offered me a spare set of rims for my td. so before I found the rototiller on cl I was actually thinking of sawzalling a couple of my rims to do that. 8)

also the guy was nice enough to replace the points and the rectifier still no spark so that leaves coil and wires right... I haven't cracked it open yet.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
actually you can get an electronic ignition conversion & not have to worry about the old style points.... That way you dont have to pull flywheel...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats what I would of done but since all is new but the coil...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok now to the funny part the wires to the coil are both mostly bare... hmm could this be part of the problem... any way to replace them I need to get the part the pull string spins off. I got the coil unbolted and the pull string off now I just need to know how to finnish getting the rest out of my way.

ps its a 5hp briggs on a tomboy rototiller made by Hannibal mower company, Hannibal ,Mo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts