Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone know how to get my rotors off? i have a 91' half ton 4x4 with what i think is a dana 44 front axle. my drivers side rotor is badly scared beyond the point of being turned. so i need to replace it. so i think my hubs need to come out then take the hub nut off then will the rotors come off? Also i have a axle seal leaking what do i need to do to get to it? do i have to pull the axle shaft out? please help!!! thanks!

~zach~

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Your on the right track....hubs, spindle nut, calipers, pull hard. Rear seal ( hub ) can be hit out from the hub side if you don't have a puller. If you are doing your housing seals....yep...axles need to be pulled back.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
This is a link to a post about doing ball joints. I know you are not doing ball joints, but you need to remove the hub/rotor assembly to do ball joints.

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=33602;start=0

To separate the hub/rotor, I took a 1" brass drift and used it with a small sledge hammer to knock the lug nut studs out. (They're what hold the hub and rotor together)

***regarding your other post about removing your Warn hubs, go ahead and take out the 6 (I think) bolts holding the cover on, they should be Allen heads. Remove the cover and then you have to remove the large retaining ring that sits in a groove around the edge of the hub housing. I have a hook and pick set that works well, but with patience a couple small screw drivers will work. After you get that large retaining ring out, the whole thing will pull out giving you access to the spindle nut (aka hub nut).

Ted

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do i need a special socket for the hub nut? or can i use a normal one? also what seal is the closest to the knuckle? i think that one is the culprit!

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
You'll need a 4-prong axle nut socket for the hub nut.

If you're leaking gear oil from the differential, there's only 1 possible seal. To get to it, you have to pull the carrier out. It's not as difficult as it seems, but you need to remove the axle shaft.

There is a seal on the back of the rotor. It is a grease seal that keeps the grease around the inner wheel bearing.

Ted

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the oil is comming from the end of the axle tube where the shatf comes out at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no the oil is comming from the end of the axle tube where the shatf comes out at.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
There's only one seal to keep the oil in. If you've got oil leaking out the end of the tube, it's getting past the seal at the differential. There is no seal at the outer end of the tube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do i get to it? how is it replaced?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I love the server tonight, I've been trying for 20 minutes to post.

You've got to open up the differential case and pull the carrier and then pry the seals out. To pull the carrier, you need to pull the axle shafts out.

It's not a hard job, just time-consuming. The carrier is a real tight fit, but it will come out without any special tools or a case spreader. To get it back in, I use a rubber dead blow hammer to knock it back in.

This is the old Dana 44 front axle out of my 1990 Ramcharger. The front cover is off and the carrier has been removed. The big empty space in the middle is what I'm referring to as the case. The hole through to the back is where the pinion comes in. There are 2 axle seals, one on each side of the big space in the middle.

Here is a picture of a carrier. It has the ring gear attached to it and, on this particular one, a locker in it. Usually there will be your spider gears in it.

·
29,388 Posts
I think we better clarify things a bit:
What side is leaking oil? If it is the driver side, then the seal IS on the end of the axle tube, not inside the dif. All you'd have to do is remove the outer shaft (and everything associated in removing it) then replace the seal, its easy to get to, relatively speaking of course.
If it is leaking on the passenger side, then you would have to remove the carrier like coop explained.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do you set pinon depth? shims under the bearing caps?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yea, the pinion depth on the D44 front is done with shims. You shouldn't have to take the pinion out to do the seal, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts