Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some old posts about roof repair, mine. Doesn't involve rust. I purchased a 2 owner 93 short bed. First owner was a small city in Oklahoma, second owner was in legal trouble and needed money. Which is where I come in. Good 75k original miles no visible rust just a very amateurish paint job. The roof had a lot of lumps and thinking it was rust I sanded it down. I found multiple holes where I'm assuming lights and an antenna were oil can spots everywhere and dents that looked like a group of folks square danced on the roof. I don't have the skills to repair what I found. I did find a parts truck in the town I live in with a perfect roof skin. Would I be better to have a skilled person replace the outer skin or see if a resto shop can repair it?
Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Even though that panel is messed up, I would still repair it; not replace.  You'll end up needing some skim bondo but its about shrinking and stretching.  That said, finding someone good at that is not easy.  If you are sure about a guys reputation, talk to him and get a estimate.  Around here, i dont know where I would even start as everyone just does insurance work.  Or half ass work. 

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have not done this but I have watched someone do this many years ago. He used a torch to get the low spot by shrinking and the oil can effect out where the metal pops in and out.  Wet Rags around it to keep the rest of the metal cool

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,130 Posts
Quenching, shrinking, dolly-ing, bondo-ing, sanding - it all takes time either way and time costs money. Roof skins on single cab trucks are not all that hard for a skilled person to replace. By the time a bodyman is done fixing that roof, a skilled welder could replace the roof skin in approximately the same amount of time. Plus you won't have a ton of bondo on your roof to shrink, crack and so on. You need to find and drill out all of the spot welds around the drip rails and window channels to remove the skin and then just a little bondo to cover the welds when done. Most wrecking yards will cut the entire roof off a truck for you so you can have plenty to work with. Don't you know any hotrodders?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.