Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey RCC!

I'm going to be pulling the top off my 75 TD soon and I was hoping for some pointers. The previous owner had told me that the truck spent it's whole life on a farm and then a ranch. He said that he doesn't think the top has ever been off.
Looking at it, I would probably agree with him. The bolt heads that mount the roof to the body don't look like they've ever had a socket on them and the door weatherstripping is one solid piece going all the way around the door.
So, I can gather that I'll need to make a couple of cuts in the weatherstripping. Other than that, is there anything else to watch our for? Anything that might get ruined if I do this incorrectly?
I'll be using my 2 post lift to separate the roof and body.

Thanks, and here's pics of the weatherstripping.
IMG_20210609_211942127.jpg
IMG_20210609_212002506.jpg

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nothing special other than the weatherstripping needs to be done. Just cut it at the seems, remove 16 bolts, and lift it off. (4 in the front and 4 on each side rail) I just bought a 77 2WD from the original owner and he had never taken the top off either. Any time it leaked he just added more silicone. It took hours to shave all that off and clean it back to the paint. I would also recommend replacing that weatherstripping. New ones are available all over the internet.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing special other than the weatherstripping needs to be done. Just cut it at the seems, remove 16 bolts, and lift it off. (4 in the front and 4 on each side rail) I just bought a 77 2WD from the original owner and he had never taken the top off either. Any time it leaked he just added more silicone. It took hours to shave all that off and clean it back to the paint. I would also recommend replacing that weatherstripping. New ones are available all over the internet.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty straight forward.

You mentioned replacing the weatherstripping. You are talking about the one in my pic, correct? I have ordered a complete set, with channel run and division post pieces. But, honestly, I was shocked at the condition of the original stuff. It is still soft and flexible, even after all these years.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty straight forward.

You mentioned replacing the weatherstripping. You are talking about the one in my pic, correct? I have ordered a complete set, with channel run and division post pieces. But, honestly, I was shocked at the condition of the original stuff. It is still soft and flexible, even after all these years.
Yes, I was referring to the door. The rest of the weatherstripping for the top is not reproduced. Take care of the seals you have if they are in decent shape.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was referring to the door. The rest of the weatherstripping for the top is not reproduced. Take care of the seals you have if they are in decent shape.
Got it, thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
there was someone on Facebook that recently posted a picture of the "top removal" kit with instructions he found in the glove box of his RC. Pretty cool, but everything has already been covered above.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I think I put together a couple FAQs on this topic. In your scenario biggest thing is going to be convincing the weather strip at the header and bed rails to let go. Strategically placed bottle jack and lumber helps.
HPIM1668.JPG HPIM1672.JPG

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
How is the body as far as rust? I would crawl under, and take a good look at the two square structures under the doors, About 8"x 8"x the length of the door. Those are what holds the body rigid for top removal. Any rust, I would fix them up first. Or you will be jacking, and cussing to get the top back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts