Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if my 318 is a roller or non-roller engine. I have an '86RC but I'm pretty sure the engine is not factory. The number cast into the block on driver's side is 4323330 318 12. I know I could tell if I lifted the manifold but I would like to know if there is another way. I'm trying to have all the right parts ready (cam, intake, carb, etc..) when I dig into it. Will magnum engine ('92+) cams work in pre-magnum roller ('85-'91) engines?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
What year is the motor, on the block is a date along the side, the car motors went roler in 85 and the 318 in the trucks went roller in 87 i believe, so now you need to know is it a car motor or a truck motor.

But you want a roller motor, i know i would

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the passenger side of the block towards the front 7 24 85 is cast in. Do you know how to tell if it is a truck or pass car engine?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Pull a valve cover and look at the pushrod, ah get a flashlight and look down between the heat crossover, if you see a plate with fingers kinda reaching across the cam valley to the lifters it's a roller motor, if not then it's a flat hyd cam motor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rollers have pushrods measuring 6 49/64 inches, while non-rollers measure out at 7 31/64 inches. Magnum cams will fit the pre-Magnum blocks, but there are a few things to remember. They have a shorter snout, so a standard fuel pump eccentric for a mechanical pump will not fit (there is a modified eccentric for this, but obviously not a problem if you run an electric pump). The Magnum cams are ground with a 1.6:1 rocker ratio in mind, so it'll instantly lose punch with standard 1.52:1 LA rockers. Magnum cams also lack oil holes. This is an issue if you are running the traditional LA shaft-mount, oil through the heads setup. If you convert to lifters that oil, and use hollow pushrods, as well as the matching rockers (oil hole in the rocker is in a different place)...as seen on late model LA's, this wouldn't be an issue. Still, that's a lot to swap when you could just get an oiler-cam for the LA.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
My dads 87 with 318 didnt' have a rollar cam. So i say the trucks went rollar in 88 with TBI introduction

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
RAMance said:
Trying to figure out if my 318 is a roller or non-roller engine. I have an '86RC but I'm pretty sure the engine is not factory. The number cast into the block on driver's side is 4323330 318 12.
The 330 block has the tapped bosses for the lifter spider, but it may have either cam depending on if it was a car or truck engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information guys!
I gather I have at least a roller capable block.
I'll pull a valve cover and see what I've got in there.
I really appreciate all of your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.