Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if any of our trucks had roller cams like some of the 80's cars had. If so is there any way to see if my truck has them?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
From 86 on i believe all motors had them

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the specs. for the roller cam? Should have allot more lift right? Do most cam compnies offer aftermarket small block roller cams?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Comp and crane make a few, it is a little bigger than the old flat cams in lift it is alot better than the old flat cams

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think 87+up is roller marty, at least the old motor from my truck is a flat tappet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is the cam descent? I am going to rebuild my engine, and I was looking at the .450/.480 comp cams grind. I don't know if I should replace it or not.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
no its 88 and up for the trucks. My dads 87 318 had a flat tappet. They went to fuel injection in 88 and the cam was changed anyway to do away with the fuel pump eccentric

·
Registered
965 Posts
Fuel injection on '88 318s, Q-jet carb on my '88 360. Does that mean I have flat tappet cam? Always thought I did.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Don't pull the intake, pull a valve cover and look at the lifters there will be a finger plate going to the lifters, and yes the 60 was a year later to get the roller as compared to the 18

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Don't pull the intake, pull a valve cover and look at the lifters there will be a finger plate going to the lifters, and yes the 60 was a year later to get the roller as compared to the 18

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's flat. Pulled the engine yesterday for a rebuild, then pulled the intake and there were flat lifters in it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the metal things that keep the lifters aligned in the bore. Now can I just buy new lifters and a new cam and have a roller cam engine? I beleive the block is already set up for it.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If the block is set up for it yes, if not you would have to go to crane cams and use there hydro lifter.

Make sure now you order a roller cam for a sb mopar that had a roller cam, in other words just don't call someone and go send me a roller for a 360 because if you do you may get a roller cam designed for use with a different type or size roller lifter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts