Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight problem. After driving, when I come to a stop the truck feels like it settles in or has a rocking effect in the rear end or ???. The a$$ end seems to only do it. The shocks are good still, I have no sag and it does not bounce when you push on all four corners to check for worn shocks they all settle nice with normal rebound. The only thing that I can think of is the spring blocks acting like a carrage effect. Do you think it could also be the slip spline on the drive shaft to trans. If so wouldn't I notice it more than just the regular minor thunk when I put it in gear? If at the blocks are the problem would replacing the u-bolts and realy cranking them down help? Or am I way out on the problem? need your help thanks.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Check your centering pins on the springs. They may be broken and the springs move around a little bit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also, check your slip yoke to see that it's clean and well greased.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry kind of lacking in that dept. but what is a slip yoke? how to check it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Depending on what type of T-case you have, the slip yoke could be the T-case output yoke, or If the yoke is solid on the T-case, then the splines on the drive shaft where the two pieces come together is the slip yoke. To check for play, just see if the two pieces will move or have play against each other.
On a different note, if you find out that its the blocks or related components, and you repair them let us know where you get the U bolts for the leaf springs. Im lookin for a set for my truck, and the only place I found that has them is the dealer, and they want 50+ dollars a piece for them.....
Let us know what you find out....
C.J.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
could it be he is stopping a lil hard and it is simply the inertia going away and the weight being redistributed. i know i may be sounding foolish but you start simple then gain in complexity. David

·
Premium Member
17,272 Posts
kick_the_ram84 said:
Depending on what type of T-case you have, the slip yoke could be the T-case output yoke, or If the yoke is solid on the T-case, then the splines on the drive shaft where the two pieces come together is the slip yoke. To check for play, just see if the two pieces will move or have play against each other.
On a different note, if you find out that its the blocks or related components, and you repair them let us know where you get the U bolts for the leaf springs. Im lookin for a set for my truck, and the only place I found that has them is the dealer, and they want 50+ dollars a piece for them.....
Let us know what you find out....
C.J.
i have found that quite a few places that make trailers or trailer accesories can make your u-bolts for you. had a shop make mine they were about $6.00 apiece with nuts and washers.

eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar prob. on my '82. It varied from a clunk on acceleration to a 'sinking' from the rear suspension at a full stop. It was an out of phase slip joint. It caused binding as the auto tran. never releases the torque on the driveshaft as it would in a stick shift. So, the slip joint would hang up and not allow the rear suspension to smoothly adjust along the drive shaft. The front and rear yokes were just a few degrees out of phase, but a new Spicer Glide Coat slip joint and a trued driveshaft made the truck drive so smooth. It had the dealer pulling his hair out. They never did find the prob. But, a speed shop that works with drive shafts knew right away what to fix. Never went back to that dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts