Here we go again...

Shall we start at the top?

I am here... ::)

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Hey Mike and all,
I've been gone, and will be mostly gone, through the second week of August. I'm not ignoring, I'm just not here !

So, as I said on the other board (which I have no idea what happened to..) Sam nominated me as coordinator, but I would not be at all put out if anyone else steps up and organizes something.

I'd love to come up and cruise the Puerco with you, but all I have right now are weeny street tires (235 75R15) and stock ground clearance... how bad's yer trail(s) ?

And, maybe we oughta wait a month or so till the wind calms down and the temperatures let up...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smokey,

No issues. But I really do not want to head this thing up, as I have WAY TOO MUCH going on at work right now and I have NO bandwidth...

There is a roller coaster trail that any 4X4 can handle and is a LOT of fun. It is about 10 miles long. And yes, we DO need to wait until fall... the best time of the year for wheeling bacause it is cooler, the bugs aren't as determined to get in your face, and the biggest reason is, my truck might be finished by then... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I still need to swap out my front axle housing, but work is interfering with my schedule. I hope to get it installed weekend after next. I am still waiting on my new upper ball joints I ordered last week.

I am organized... sorta... ::)

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
ok, I am here...{smoke}

New Mexico territories used to be from mexico up into most of canada, to the west coast to the mississippi, we had the largest territory in the Untied States.
New Mexico is home to many things, 1st nuclear detonation, that produced the atomic bombs for the win in WW2.
Smokey the Bear was found in Lincoln county
Lincoln county is famous for billy the kid, and the Lincoln co wars, up north is a spot where the civil war came through.
The continental divide runs through our great state.
We have the largest ELK herds in the U S
Our state bird is the Roadrunner, so cool, I have a few living out at my place, the high desert is so cool.
Carlsbad caverns, White Sands Missile Range, and twice a year trinity test site is open to the public for 10 hours..
Come on guys I need help here...
Albuquerque is 493 yrs old...
The 4 corners region is home of the Navajo Code Talkers

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
also every february the LCFWDC holds an event in Las Cruces, then we have Old Mesilla down here and some of the best 4xs4 trails around for my driving enjoyment
;D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fireworks show in Rio Rancho on the 4th of July, is one of the 10 best shows in the US!!!

Rated by USA Today...

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I was 6 miles away this yr, and suckin down a becks...LMAO
The Rio Grande, the turquoise trail, the mogillon rim, sweet hunting and fishing
cochiti lake, benedictine monestary, which has a sweet rainbow trout pond
petrified wood, fossills of all kinds, NM used to be part of a giant swamp..
the pecos, a few john wayne movies made in NM
{smoke}

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Well, gee whiz guys. You forgot:

The Catwalk at Glenwood (really named after Brew).
The Hot Springs on the San Francisco River just over from Glenwood.
The semighost town of Mogollon and the "road" across the Gila National Forest, from there to Beaverhead or Magdalena.
The place where the last "foreign" invasion of the continental US occured.
The place where the first mechanized cavalry campaign started.
White Sands National Monument, lotsa beach - no water.
Mescalero Dunes Offroad play area.
The highest mountain in Texas is the last mile or two of a NM mountain chain.

The home of the only county, which I know of, that passed an ordinance REQUIRING citizens to carry a gun (Catron County, pronounced "cartoon county").

The road from Taos to Farmington,... voted one of Car & Drivers 10 Best.

The Abiquiu Inn, monastery, ashram, dam, Ghost Ranch, Echo Ampitheather, Heron Lake, the Wild River portion of the Chama, and the site of the last armed courthouse takeover by irate citizens (1962). All in my old home Rio Arriba County.

Or down south here, where you can go snow OR water skiing in March...

There's lots more. But, I need to go eat supper.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Isn't New Mexico home to the largest open pit copper mine in the world? I used to live in Silver City, from 1979-1983. My great grandfather had a blacksmith shop in Silver City around 1901, located on the corner of Cooper and Market St.

There is also the City of Rocks.

I seem to remember a ghost town outside of Lordsburg on I-10.

New Mexico is a great state, there are lots of things I miss about it. I usually make it down there about once a year (I own some rental property in Silver City).

Don H.

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Well, yeah, there are actually two big mines near Silver now. The old one Santa Rita del Cobre is east, actually not very far from the City of Rocks (which I agree is a GREAT park). And PD did another mine southwest of Silver in the 60s and 70s, but I think it's mostly closed down now. But, neither one of them is the "biggest".

Steins is the "ghost town" near Lordsburg...

I owned Silver Car Parts, where "Pope collides with College" in Silver City in the early 70s. I loved it there (my long ago ex did not) and I still have a few friends there. It's a pretty place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts