Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,
i'm gonna be getting some new rims soon and wanted everyone's opinion.
i'll be painting the Rc either black or steel grey eventually, and have always liked the look of black rims for that "tough" off roading look, but have had a hard time finding some that aren't shiny
i found some us wheel rims that might be nice, the series 841. (sorry, internet explorer is not working right, i'll get pics soon)
i love the look of hummer wheels, but do they come small enough for 31" or 33" tires? and where could i get some of those?
you can find pics of my truck in the members pics section, as well as a thumbnail right under my name

·
Registered
9,475 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
those are some nice rims, though i'm not sure about that little red line around the edge, but i'm suppose that won't show up that well when they are mounted. any idea of how much they are? (shipping as well)

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
raven61225 said:
those are some nice rims, though i'm not sure about that little red line around the edge, but i'm suppose that won't show up that well when they are mounted. any idea of how much they are? (shipping as well)
In the link I provided above, open that, click on the rim and it will bring you to a page where you can determine the cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah yes, of course. thanks for the link, i think i'm gonna go with those, they are nice and cheap

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I gotta say flashy rims are nice, but not on a true trail rig/mudde, in my opinion. Just give me a nice set of steel wheels, at least then if you bend em, just hammer em back in place. I also saw a set of 16.5 steel military rims someone has on their M880 project that look real nice, I forget his user name though.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, i definately agree, flashy wheels just look strange on an offroader, especially with all that mud on em.
i remember that m880 project, just can't remember where, in member's pics i think.
i did see some perfect ones here:http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=67
and asked what rims they were, but no response, probably too old a thread.
i did find this place:
http://www.boyceequipment.com/ that has hummer tires, and lots of wheels they say, so maybe they have em.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
raven61225 said:
yep, i definately agree, flashy wheels just look strange on an offroader
Not really, but flashy wheels are lighter

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
And from what I have heard more prone to irreparable damage, depending on the process involved in making them.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah i guess if you crash them into rocks, and from experience it is very hard to break a cast wheel, but forged is easy to fix

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Got a website for you, they deal in parts and accessories for HMMV's, H1's and H2's. They even have complete vehicles for sale. Look in the military hummer section under parts or accessories, they carry several different types of HMMV wheels including the 16.5 steel wheels.

http://www.real4wd.com/

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
man, those are some nice wheels, but they are probably more expensive than my truck! nice and solid and probably indestuctible, but i can't afford something like that, so i'll probably go with the others

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You can get those wheels much much cheaper than that but they wont fit without being recentered they have too much back spacing. Look into quality aluminum wheels there lighter your truck will proform better

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah lighter and perform better, like i said earlier you really got hit something hard with the wheel directly to break a cast alum wheel.
But doing what you want is like adding anchors

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Bottom line is this, if one wants flashy rims, then go with aluminum or forged or whatever. But if you just want to get the job done, go with steel. And besides if you know a little about the forces of gravity, having heavier rims will contribute to keeping your rig planted when ascending a steep incline. Look at stock unimogs. Yea they have an incredible center of gravity but a lot of their weight is low, just look at the rims they run. Save the flash for a grocery getter.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah but adding heavy wheels to a already heavy vehicle will rob huge amounts of hp , not to mention gas mileage, then you have to figure that weight above the spring and what it would really need to be below that to really keep it on the floor, but 1st you would have to find the true center of gravity and then the weight above that.

Besides for adding heavier wheels hurting your take off, it also kills your stopping. To get the job done in this area the lighter the better

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank's all, you guys brought up some thoughts i never had before. i forgot about weight in this. so basically what you are saying is that steel is much heaveir than aluminum, and will cost me in terms of power, getting of the line, gas millage, and braking, right? i doubt i'll have the truck fixed up enough to do any serious off roading anytime soon, so strength isn't an issue. i'd still prefer the less flashy ones, but the effects i mentioned above don't seem wothit. and i suppose with an all black (no white lettering) tire like claw radials it won't look too bad at all.
thanks for all the input and advice guys

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
What im saying and it is true is that if you go to a bigger tire and use a steel wheel you won't be happy with your performance, don't forget the bigger tire is also heavier and also effects your take off, mileage, and braking, all do to weight

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep, makes sense. i just have one last dumb question. i always saw ads and stuff for aluminum wheels for race cars and stuff. light vehicles that need light rims. i'm assuming that most of the aluminum ones out there are for regular vehicles and will have no problem with a truck right?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yes that is correct

1 - 20 of 20 Posts