Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey..Have you guys ever restored a car battery? Thinking about trying this

Link removed, everything I can find, convinces me this is a scam, and was posted for getting us to click, and not asking our experience/ advice. SB

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
One thread per subject please. Give it a try, and report back. Every one of these deals I have read about, or tried, were scams, and did not do what they claim. Some of the batteries they show on the table, can explode if recharged, so I would be suspicious that it really works. Also a very slim chance that one method would work for all types of batteries. Will be looking forward to seeing your report.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
we had a fellow who did batteries like that , sold the as rebuilt , cheap . he did take them apart , clean out the gunk from the bottom , replace warped plates , but that was a LONG time ago , 45-50 years , the way the tops were made was different ....

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
here is one method.

I have often thought about trying to clean the lead plates, and put in new acid, just never had the ambition to give it a shot.

If there was a simple way to make a battery like new, all the junkyards would be doing it.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if you look at many battery's today , you'll see made in Vietnam on them ( new ones ) that fit lawn stuff ( bikes) I know the environmental laws are different ... wonder if they're using USA ammo ....LOL

I've dumped out /washed out/ refilled a coulpla 4D ones  , but ... didn't always work that easy ...

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Mine are mostly made in the USA, but I have a few that are made in china and one made in South Korea.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
This was discussed in depth on one of the power wagon sites a few years back. Yes batteries can be rejuvenated, but it involves use of certain chemicals that you won't find on sale at Walmart & I think a variable voltage charger. In the end most agreed it just wasn't feasible & somewhat dangerous.

Bucky

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
712edf said:
This was discussed in depth on one of the power wagon sites a few years back. Yes batteries can be rejuvenated, but it involves use of certain chemicals that you won't find on sale at Walmart & I think a variable voltage charger. In the end most agreed it just wasn't feasible & somewhat dangerous.

Bucky
Not just that, unless the damage on them is mild, you will loose significant amp-hr capacity. All the stuff that gets washed out is the lead (in the form of lead-sulfate) from the plates. Between the labor and cost of the acid, etc, you are better off imo just getting a new battery.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They sure don’t make them like they used to, as my neon when I was a kid had a 16 year old battery.
It got to the point I left it on a trickle charger at night because it wouldn’t start after 12 hours.
Now I can seem to get them to make 4 years. My 05 stratus craps our a battery every 2, so the next one I get will have to be some type of “premium” battery that will hopefully last longer.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
The newer cars have so much crap still running when the car is off. The keyless entry, the computer on some stays on, and checks for updates every week or so. My 17 Pacifica, has a procedure you need to go through on the information system, to shut off everything if you are going to park it for more then two weeks. Its hidden, so Most folks do not know it so they get back from a trip, and need to call AAA to start their car. I can live with the extra crap, just have it self shut down, when the battery drops.

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
I heard they got bought out OR that Deka stopped using them. {think} Can't remember.

IIRC they used to make the batterys for Harley but not anymore.

SuperBurban said:
here is one method.

I have often thought about trying to clean the lead plates, and put in new acid, just never had the ambition to give it a shot.

If there was a simple way to make a battery like new, all the junkyards would be doing it.
Oh heck no! I don't have that kind of time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Deka is a East Penn brand, I've been to their manufacturing plant. According to their Rep, one of the reason's that your original battery lasted longer than the replacements, it that the wiring was also new. After 10-15 years corrosion, more resistance and other things account for batteries not lasting as long as the original.

I just replaced the Deka batteries in my 3500 CTD, was kind of pissed because it wouldn't start after being on the charger for 2 days. Looked at the date on the batteries and they were 10 years old. Not to bad by anybody's standards.

Mark

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
buy Cat batteries , the kind WITH the caps you add distilled water . plates are embedded .. 6-8 years

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.