Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo 1st post... I have 2 power wagons. Both of which I'd like to restore, but have limited information to base off of. I have some questions for anyone who could point me in the right direction, as I contacted Chrysler and came up empty handed when I sent in a build/broadcast sheet request. They were unable to retrieve any info on either truck after exhausting all their resources for 2 weeks.

The first is a 1977 1/2 ton Custom Conv Cab Long Bed 318 NP435 NP203 GM 10 Bolt front GM 12 bolt rear 3.07 gears. Question #1: The truck is 6100 lb GVWR (Anything 6001lb+ is Heavy Duty Cycle, meaning it is dismissed from emissions equipment). Does the 6100# make it a W150 instead of a W100? The W150 nomenclature is never used in the 1977 FSM or 1978 supplement. And I have looked and the truck is absent of all smog equipment (exhaust is long gone when I got it, so unsure if there was a converter at one time) with the exception of EGR system, which is supposedly only California emissions for HDC vehicles, or at least it says so in the FSM. So does it mean this was a Cal Emissions truck? No air pump, or evidence anything else was ever there besides EGR and standard PCV/CCV system. Fender tag is missing, so unable to be sure but it looks like the truck was originally Yellow, now similar to a metallic version of the bright blue. and would like to restore this truck. as most of you have experienced, I was fortunate enough to still have the Equipment Identification label hanging to the hood by a thread. It is laregly illegible but can make out parts of it. From what I understand, this is my only gateway to knowing how the truck was built. It has been pretty modified, and I want to return it to totally factory, particularly the axles I know it would have had a 44 front and 9.25 rear, but want to know if it would have had a locker and such. Which leads to Question #2: Does anyone know a better way than contacting Chrysler as I did to acquire all this build info? If not, could any of you guys help a brotha out and post some of your Code/descripions? The closer to 77-78 model year the better, but all are welcome. This is all I've been able to make out so far off the right side of the sheet, hopefully more to make out later, or piece together with the help of you guys.

AV2 R/A CHRY 9 1/4 3600 3.55
DF5 11X2.5 HYD RR BRAKES
LX3 11 INCH CLUTCH
FE3 TRANS NP435 4 SPD
      WHLS 15X5.5 5 STUD DISC
SJ6 SPRING REAR 1650 LBS
WL2F H78X15 2/4 L GL B

the 2nd truck is a 1978 W200 Custom Conv Cab Long Bed, 360 NP435 NP203 Dana 44 front Dana 60 rear. This truck is far less modified, so identifying options may be easier to check up on, however, it was a snow plow truck and the Equipment ID label is missing. I wonder if anyone could help me decipher the last number on the Fender tag as it is still there.

Top Row: 85994 W20 131 Conv Cabs-74
Middle Row: PY3442
Bottom Row: W24BF8S194805 FL855401

I know W20 is the Model Number, 131 Wheelbase, Reg cab, paint code on middle row is Bright Canyon Red, and bottom row are VIN and TON, but what in the world is 85994 supposed to represent?
This truck also has EGR solenoid present on the valve cover, and EGR blockoff plate bolted to the intake, leading me to believe this truck also came with EGR only, but it is 6900# GVWR, certainly also HDC by Chrysler's definition. But I find it difficult to believe that I have ended up with 2 40+ year old trucks in Kentucky both California emissions instead of federal. Was this maybe a misprint in the FSM? How are your trucks/ramchargers configured as far as remaining smog equipment?

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
I can only help with how mine is set up now. I set it up in accordance with chilton's version of 1985 heavy duty system(75 with an 85 engine). that is one vacuum line to the CCEGR thing in the intake then one line from it to the EGR Valve. I wouldn't have done that much if I could find a factory looking EGR blockoff plate. When I got mine it also had a vacuum amplifier which now resides in the spare parts bin. My Personal theory would be that making two  different versions off one engine was a massive pain for dodge so they went to one and the HD Vehicles got the bare minimum amount of vacuum lines to make it look right. For what its worth you should have a fuel tank vent line on the carb I'll assume that you do since you didn't ask about that mess specifically and I think it's the same both light & heavy duty. If I understand correctly Cat. converters were in place if you have the "unleaded" Fuel filler neck though that's an easy fix for whichever way you want to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the 77 was carb-less when I got it, the only thing still there was PCV hoses. EGR valve is present but has a vacuum plug. And the 78 was a friends, and he had put an edelbrock carb on it. Think he did away with a lot of vacuum stuff. Or the previous owner that used it as a plow truck may have done away with a lot. Just wanting to put then back to factory and found it odd that EGR was the only thing they were equipped with, but supposedly exempt being Heavy Duty Cycle. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I'd just get them running, driving and looking as good as you expect them to look and enjoy them.  There is very little point in a full "factory correct" restoration or anything near the concours level.  Considering how few parts resources we have for older Dodge trucks, the extreme rarity of NOS parts and the fact that some parts are simply unavailable and haven't been for decades means a full restoration of these trucks is going to be extremely expensive, possibly more so than a similar muscle car.  You can very quickly exceed the value of the truck since there is no collector market for these trucks.  Just my .02

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
I would hang on to the EGR valve. vacuum cap is good so is a parts bin. Insurance in case a visual inspection is ever needed to be road legal. you do "need" a vent from the fuel tank to the charcoal can into the carb. Those parts aren't available but ones that function the same way are. I recommend a good junkyard for lots of parts mostly because i like things that look stock and they aren't made anymore. Unfortunately Elwenil is right unless you just get really really lucky with junkyards a full restoration is almost impossible. That said making it close is not.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Elwenil said:
there is no collector market for these trucks. Just my .02
I call BS ... there are many members here who have extensive collections (myself included) {lol} ... unfortunately its more of a sickness than a collection sometimes ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed .

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
ProjectPW said:
I call BS ... there are many members here who have extensive collections (myself included) {lol} ... unfortunately its more of a sickness than a collection sometimes ;D
Collecting isn't the same thing as "accumulating". ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Elwenil said:
Collecting isn't the same thing as "accumulating". ;D
My wife says that very thing! Rule of thumb...one parts truck per truck you fully intend to restore.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if yer not collecting why would there be an accumulation .....I got rid of the Dakotas.........  :p    5 parts , 5 street legal , 6 in operation/use (inc a dedicated '91 driveway snow plow ), just 2 drivers . collecting fer sure .  BUT I'm still not willing to overpay ....maybe its because I can repair them , maybe because of my belief that even a new one cannot be worth 50 k ... so the no value  idea may be correct anyway ?  but that is how "collectors " are , investing more than their are worth for their collectables ... NO ?   

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
You entered the VIN Number: W24BF8S194805

W2 MODEL DESIGNATION W200
4 BODY TYPE Conventional Cab W/Sweptline (Standard Box)
B GVW CLASS 6001 to 10000 lbs
F ENGINE TYPE 360 or 360-2 or 360-1 2BBL
8 MODEL YEAR 1978
S ASSEMBLY PLANT Warren Plant No 1
194805 Sequential Serial Number

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 on the difficulties with parts availability. I'm not against going aftermarket on things in the event that NOS/OE or decent junkyard parts are unavailable. Hey, if you exhaust your resources that's all you can do. I think WE are the small D/W collector niche outside of the LRE or Macho trucks. Aside from the emissions equipment, anyone know about the equipment codes or the W100/W150 thing for the 77?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip about the Galen's Tag Service book, got my hands on a white book for 61-80 trucks and was able to fill in a lot of blanks with the equipment listing for the 77.

Left
GH4 CAB & SWEPTLINE
CP1 FRT AXLE 3500/4000
DS5 POWER DISC BRAKES
EC1 ENG 8 CYL 318-1
?
?
?
?
?
SF1 SPRING FRT 1400 LBS
SS6 FRT & RR SHOCKS
?
?
?
?
XA1 GOODYEAR
?

Right side
AV2 R/A CHRY 9 1/4 3600 3.55
DF5 11x2.5 HYD RR BRAKES
DX3 11 INCH CLUTCH
FE3 TRANS NP435 4-SPD
HF3 BATTERY 48 AMP
HL8 20 GAL F/TANK FRM MTD
?
MD6 REAR STEP BUMPER
RB1 WHLS 15x5.5 5 STUD DISC
SJ6 SPRING REAR 1650 LBS
ST1 POWER STEERING
?
WL2? H78-15 2/4 L GL B
WR2? MUD & SNO TREAD PASS TYPE POL
?
YS1 STD CAB INTERIOR
ZK4 10 GALLONS GAS

That little book is pretty loaded! Unfortunately doesn't help out with fender tag deciding as it states but having all the codes is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Can someone tell me where to find the fender tag on these trucks please? I don't seem to have one on either fender lip and at a glance, I do not see one on the core support.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
'80s models will typically have the tag under the cowl panel on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
This has gotten me curious too. Especially, the factory paint code(s). From what I see under the hood, the original paint was a mild yellow. But, I don't know if it was a two tone colored truck. A PO painted the firewall and other parts black without properly preparing it. So, some of the black paint has flaked off revealing it's original color. If I ever come into money, I'd like to restore the RC, yet, keeping the upgraded drive train and engine. At least the original factory paint.
Pic below is of the nasty looking mix of original yellow and flaky black paint under the hood. I don't like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
RCCADMAN said:
Can someone tell me where to find the fender tag on these trucks please? I don't seem to have one on either fender lip and at a glance, I do not see one on the core support.
The tag referenced here is up on the far left side of the core support tucked in the grill. Top of the rad support. I know 77 and 79 reside in that location.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.