Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this and thought some would find it interesting... and it also made me think of a friend of mine who is older and made a good living at one time restoring Mopars (mostly) along with others. Some won some prestigious awards, shows, etc. He sold his business but still picks and chooses projects and only one at a time just for the love of it. He was telling me it was 12-15 hour days he just can't do anymore.
I suppose if enough work was put into a ramcharger it could command a premium but the prices on these Broncos seem out of touch and to me insanely overpriced. To any restorers here, what do you reckon is the profit on one of these IF it sold at that price? I know these older Broncos command a premium but holy moly :eek:
https://www.velocityrestorations.com/spec-builds-landing-page/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvvbusabG5AIVTFXBCh1KYASDEAEYASAAEgKq3fD_BwE

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Those are similar to the ICON trucks.  Over-built and over-priced.  Basically just trying to lure in the rich folks.

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
Yup, it's a fishing expedition. Overpriced at half that price. They're just trying to get some rich dot.commer to pay up.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got to say that's the most extreme example I've seen for what it is...no matter how many dollars..or cents ;). Those go hand in hand right
Never heard of the ICON trucks..I'll have a look..not to purchase of course

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Heres the thing, cars and trucks like those are marketed to those who can afford it. They want that 'classic' vehicle, but they don't want the classic problems of purchasing a "used" vehicle. They basically want a classic that is every bit as good as buying a brand new vehicle off the show room floor, to include many of the same amenities. On the other side of that coin, it takes a huge amount of money to build something like that Bronco to new-like condition which features many modern upgrades. I can only imagine the overhead costs of running a well equipped shop and paying employees.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
RXT said:
Heres the thing, cars and trucks like those are marketed to those who can afford it. They want that 'classic' vehicle, but they don't want the classic problems of purchasing a "used" vehicle. They basically want a classic that is every bit as good as buying a brand new vehicle off the show room floor, to include many of the same amenities. On the other side of that coin, it takes a huge amount of money to build something like that Bronco to new-like condition which features many modern upgrades. I can only imagine the overhead costs of running a well equipped shop and paying employees.

Ed
I agree that the costs are high, but not $200K high, even factoring a profit.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
I agree that the costs are high, but not $200K high, even factoring a profit.
From our perspective, I'd agree, but if you were in the business of modernizing and refurbishing 30+ yr old vehicles to absolutely brand new, show room-like condition, the costs to build one adds up. That Bronco has an all new modern engine that runs about $21K, then throw in an all new transmission, all new accessories including a modern HVAC system, leather interior, meticulous body and paint, all new tires and rims, plus a million other miscellaneous things and you've already spent over $100K.

The people who build them are like house flippers who buy some run down piece of trash house, in a nice neighborhood, who spend hundreds of thousands in improvements and upgrades, to sell it for six or more figures above their purchase price and pocket a huge portion of it.

And heres the thing, there is a market for classics that are built to brand new condition. There are people out there who don't want to mess with an old junker. They just want to step in and turn the key and expect it to run as reliably as a new vehicle. They really want a new truck but they want it to look like an old truck.

Ed

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eh. Let em have the furds. Ramchargers are better anyway, and the less people that know about how awesome they are, the easier it is to afford parts for mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.