Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 RC Prospector has a 318, 727 combo. it's 4WD, with a 9 1/4 rear and D44 front. the clock reads 88k, and i have no idea how many rollovers have passed. The engine is quite sick, and needs either rebuilding or replacing. I am thinking of a crate 360 from ATK engines ( www.atkengines.com ). what are the odds for needing to rebuild/replace the 727? is there a chance that i can get away with not having to go through the entire driveline rebuilding everything? I have no idea when or if any of the stuff has been redone. thanks

Jake

·
Premium Member
16,268 Posts
If you can afford it, have it checked out professionally. It's much easier to get a tranny out when the engine is removed. I couldn't afford it when I did a rebuild on my old 84 (hell, I could barely afford the rebuild), so I took a chance and lucked out. However, I wasn't having any problems with it. At the very least, make sure you replace the front seal.

How does the tranny run now? How's the fluid look? Any metal in the pan?

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the trans seems to shift fine, it leaks a little, but what doesnt. it's hard to tell over the sickness of the engine but i think the rest of the driveline is good, but i'm only getting about 1/4 of the horses out of the 318... so im wondering about the greater Hp and torque of the 360

Jake

·
Premium Member
16,268 Posts
I have a 360 in my current 84. I definitely noticed a difference over my old 318. (both 2bbl). I'm not sure what a 4 bbl 318 would do. I put a 4 bbl on my rebuild, but had to sell it pretty soon after cause we needed the money for bills :\'(

·
Registered
247 Posts
84DDGRC said:
My 84 RC Prospector has a 318, 727 combo. it's 4WD, with a 9 1/4 rear and D44 front. the clock reads 88k, and i have no idea how many rollovers have passed. The engine is quite sick, and needs either rebuilding or replacing. I am thinking of a crate 360 from ATK engines ( www.atkengines.com ). what are the odds for needing to rebuild/replace the 727? is there a chance that i can get away with not having to go through the entire driveline rebuilding everything? I have no idea when or if any of the stuff has been redone. thanks

Jake
Probably worth having a trust-worthy tranny shop look at the 727. If it hasn't been rebuilt, or is in questionable shape, by all means, have it overhauled if you can afford it.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Actually u can do yerslef ansd put new bands and clutches in it would be a good thing for your own sanity but the whole thing don't need rebuilt . A 727 is not as bad as u htink to yank apart and rebuild a good manual and a tranny stand does help .

bt83rc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts