Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88' Ramcharger with the dana 44 W/CAD and I toasted the u-joint on the drivers side and it ruined the "ears" on the end of the axle shaft where the caps ride. I have another axle shaft coming (hopefully it's the correct one) and I'm trying to determine which axle seal is the right one for this setup. I had this vehicle in the shop about a year and a half ago and they totally rebuilt the front axle (axle bearings, seals, u-joints, etc.) but the shop said that they couldn't find the correct seal for the drivers side and that someone put a different axle in there from another vehicle. Is this even possible on this setup?? Needless to say after spending over $900 to have them do all of this work (they put upper and lower ball joints in too along with new Warn hubs) the axle seal was leaking the day I drove it home from the shop. Now that I have the axle back out of the drivers side and I have another one coming (I guess I'll see if they look the same when it comes in) I want to make sure that I get the right seal for it so it doesn't leak after I put it back together and continue to get water in the axle from wheeling. The seal sits right at the outer edge of the axle and according to the shop they tried six or seven different ones and none of them would seat properly on that axle shaft. Any information that you guys (or gals) could give me would be greatly appreciated since my axle should be here tomorrow and I am planning on getting it back together and going 4-wheelin' this weekend. We have an Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and a NAPA in town so any part numbers from these places would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!! ;D

·
29,379 Posts
Just need to clarify because there were two different axle tube designs.....Your seal is at THE VERY END of the tube right?, Not resessed in an inch or two????
If it is the one on the very end, I can help :), but unfortunatley :(, not till I get home from work because that is where I have the part number written down.....Sorry for the delay.
I have always had difficulty finding that seal as well, so I wrote it down. The funny part is that most parts stores have this seal in stock, they just can't look it up! ::)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KThaxton said:
Just need to clarify because there were two different axle tube designs.....Your seal is at THE VERY END of the tube right?, Not resessed in an inch or two????
If it is the one on the very end, I can help :), but unfortunatley :(, not till I get home from work because that is where I have the part number written down.....Sorry for the delay.
I have always had difficulty finding that seal as well, so I wrote it down. The funny part is that most parts stores have this seal in stock, they just can't look it up! ::)
Yes, my seal is at the very end of the axle tube on the drivers side. Man, if you have the part number for this seal I would be forever in your debt. As I stated before, the shop that originally did the work said they could not find the right seal and they put it back together with the wrong one and it has leaked ever since! I'm really getting tired of changing the axle fluid every month since our club has a run once a month and I just can't seem to get the Ramcharger to avoid those big holes {bigeyes}

·
29,379 Posts
Here's the number: Napa #19229
In my notes, I also have written "49729 also listed". I think that was a secondary number on the package the seal came in. I'm pretty sure the first number is the correct one though.
Also, this # is for my 86, but your 88 should be the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KThaxton said:
Here's the number: Napa #19229
In my notes, I also have written "49729 also listed". I think that was a secondary number on the package the seal came in. I'm pretty sure the first number is the correct one though.
Also, this # is for my 86, but your 88 should be the same.
Thank you for posting that part number. My axle shaft should be in tonight so I'll be stopping by NAPA to pick up that seal after I get off of work and hopefully start putting the old girl back together. I went home last night and pulled the old seal out and the shop had beaten that thing to death trying to get it in there.....it's no wonder that it was leaking the way it was. It seemed that the seal they had in there was too large where the shaft went through it (gap all the way around the axle shaft), and the overall diameter was too large as well since they squished it trying to make it fit. Thanks again for diggin' that part number out and I'll let you know how I make out once everything goes back together!! This message board and the people who take their own time to help out those in need has been a great help ;D

·
29,379 Posts
RAMCHARGER32 said:
This message board and the people who take their own time to help out those in need has been a great help ;D
Thats what we do, we make people happy! ;D
(well, hopfully that is the right part number, if it is then you'll be happy ;D)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the axle shaft came in last night, but it was not the right one. :\'( The axle the guy brought was only about half as big around as mine is. I can see now the difference between the axles that are in "most" Ramchargers and the one that I have. The axle bearing for the shaft the guy had rode clear out at the inner end of the shaft right before where it goes into the CAD system and my axle bearing rides out at the end of the shaft about 1" inside the axle tube just inside the axle seal which is right on the end of the axle tube. His axle also did not have the hole in the inner end of the shaft with the little needle bearing set up where it goes into the sleeve for the CAD. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on this axle?? Does anyone make a NEW replacement axle shaft for this setup? The stamp on the axle tube says it's a 44-8F. I guess my chances of driving the old girl for my clubs outing this weekend are shot now :-[ Of course I'm not really surprised since everything always goes this way for me. I guess I'll just spend my weekend riding with someone else from the club which should allow me plenty of time to "entertain" myself {smoke} ;D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Moser engineering does...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my parts guy said he was unable to find any used axle shafts for this "unusual" Dana 44 w/CAD that is in my Ramcharger so I went ahead and fixed the one I had. He did say that he "might" be able to get me a new one for $250 bucks!! I decided against that since I can get a whole different axle for less than that. BTW KThaxton.....that oil seal number you gave me was a PERFECT fit!! It sealed perfectly on the end of the axle tube as well as around the shaft. I can't thank you enough for posting that.....Since you seem to have a handle on what axle is in my Ramcharger, do you know where I can get a replacement for it?? I'm not real confident that my "fix" will last long since I abuse this truck every month out on the trail.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
First off, it's a dern shame that shop charged you $900 and sent you on your way still not 100% done. I hope they never get anymore of your business!!!! One more reason I've never let anyone work on my junk other than me.
As far as upgrading, the next step is a Dana 60 that will prolly cost around that same $900. Look for a whole donor vehicle that you can get both 1-ton axles from, cause it would make sense to upgrade the rear axle then too. (No need for 2 spares, and the gears would likely match)
Don't give up on the present CAD D-44 yet, if this is your first u-joint failure in 1 1/2 years, I'd just replace that 'shaft and keep wheelin.
Biggest culprit in snapped front shafts and U-joints? ... Shock loading. Meaning, getting a tire airborne, and staying on the gas when it comes down.
IMHO I'd also pull that diff cover and see if the lube is contaminated.
My spare change,
Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't have to worry about me ever using that shop again for anything! I will also be doing all of my own repairs on my junk....As far as giving up on the CAD, I haven't just yet. I have driven it the last couple of days and everything seems to be working as it should....AND NO AXLE LEAKS this time since I have the right seal in there! Thanks again KThaxton ;D Oh, and I did change the axle fluid when I had it all apart, since the old seal allowed water and everything else in there about as easy as it let the axle fluid out.

BTW: I just picked up a complete 84' Ramcharger for $200 dollars for extra parts. It has a Dana 44 front but it's not a CAD axle (axle shafts are more readily available), a 9 1/4" rear just like mine, an NP208 transfer case, and a 318CI engine with an automatic tranny. It runs and the 4-wheel drive works. I'll keep running my D-44 W/CAD until it breaks again, but then I'm swappin' axles off the other one. ;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
BTW: I just picked up a complete 84' Ramcharger for $200 dollars for extra parts.

How do you guys find these deals? Damn you all for that. I can't find them deals on jund around here :mad: ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ramit87 said:
BTW: I just picked up a complete 84' Ramcharger for $200 dollars for extra parts.

How do you guys find these deals? Damn you all for that. I can't find them deals on jund around here :mad: ;D
A buddy if mine who's in our 4X4 club just happened to see an add in the local paper. The ad said he wanted $400 but by the time we got ahold of him he said the first $200 to take it off his property could have it. Needless to say we arrived at his house 30 minutes later with a trailer and money in hand. Most of the body was totally shot, but it started and we drove it down the driveway and tried the 4 wheel drive before loading it up and taking it home ;D Seeing as how I was about to spend either $250 for a new inner axle shaft or $450 for another complete axle I'm feelin' pretty good about the whole deal{cool}

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
:) I drove mine home for half that price.....I guess it's who ya know!! And it looks just like RAMCHARGER32's, but with the dent in the door, not the fender. Same paint scheme, though....

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Sounds like you got the deal. Man, it makes me happy to find someone else getting a deal. Way to go..

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That 84 D-44 is the prolly the most desireable 44 avail. for our RC's. Good score!!!! Like you said, much more available parts to beef it up. You suck!! Geez, $200???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.