Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 RC 5.9l 360 4x4 auto trans. Can any one tell me if my rig had the rope seal from the factory? Are there any particular things for this year i should know before i tackle this? I am assuming i do not need to seperate the engine and trans, just drop oil pan and pull seal? Thanks for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I don't know if it is a rope or rubber seal. My brothers 88 had a rope on top and rubber on the bottom. (prob from some lazy job before he got it) ::)It is two piece, so all you have to do is drop the oil pan, remove the rear bearing cap, and loosen the two caps ahead of the rear cap. You do need to know the torque specs for your engine so you can torque the bolts when you re install the caps. on the upper part of the rear seal, thread a small screw a couple of turns into the end of the seal and have a buddy rotate the crank as you tug it out. (you can also use a screwdriver and rotate the flywheel if by yourself) The new one should go in fine. Just lube it with oil and slide it in the groove. Just pay attention and install it in the right direction, and dab the ends where the two halves join with black rtv.  :) also, if oil is leaking from the back of your engine, make sure your sending unit isn't the cause of the leak before you pull the seal. it is beside the distributor on top of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
I did my '88 360 and it was a 2 piece rubber seal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
one thing to check though is if you have a high mileage engine make sure the crankshaft doesnt have a groove worn it from where the seal sits against it because if there is a new seal wont fix it it might slow it down but will still leak past the seal if there is a groove in the crank you will have to take it out and have it welded and machined so the new seal wont leak

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
gee that was reassuring to know there ohiocowboy  ;)... my rc is drooling oil from somewhere down there i got oil puddles clear back by the friggin crosss member ....i think its just the stupid valve covers leaking lol .... oh well will yank them off and look and see if that is what is leaking and i know my intake is leaking oil i get a puddle right on top of the timing chain cover ...and there is so much goo all over this engine its gross

1 - 6 of 6 Posts