Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to finally repaint the inset area of my "Ramcharger" emblems on the fenders and the "Dodge Ramcharger" emblem on the tailgate. I know the tailgate comes off easily with some screws, but the fender emblems are obviously pinned in somehow. I don't want to go cranking on the things with a flat head and break them. Is there an easy, reliable method of removal? And once that's done, what is the best method of repainting the center area (red, I believe). I've considered Testor's model paints and the small touchup bottles they sell at Checker and O'Reilleys.

Thanks {cool}

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Not exactly sure how those little buggers pop off, Pat, but here's my experience with painting emblems.

A friend of mine in high school had a '76 Volare Roadrunner clone.  I spent a lot of time detailing the emblems on his car.  Later on I restored the emblems on my Dad's Chevy truck as well.  I polished the chrome with polishing compound then wiped them with acryli-kleen.  I used Testor paints and a small paint brush (like those in a kid's crayola set) to recreate the black, then gave them a coat of Krylon clear to seal it and also hide small scratches.  My friend got compliments at the shows on his emblems and my Dad's trim held up very well through the winters.

Most important thing is to work in small strokes and have a wadded up paper towel handy.  If the black gets up over the edge of the emblem, just give it a quick wipe and it will straighten the black "line" again.

Hope that helps!  :)

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts
I used Testors paint and a toothpick.  I would get a drop of paint on the toothpick, put it in the area needing paint and then would use the toothpick to smooth it around adding more as necessary to fill up the area.  I would sharpen a few toothpicks so that the point was flat to get in the corners.  I put enough paint in that it stayed fluid and flowed enough to fill in the marks I made with the toothpick.  I usually "mounted" the emblems by sticking the posts through a cardboard box to keep them steady and flat.  Once the paint dried for a day or so I would then pull the emblems off the cardboard and pop them in the toaster oven at about 150° for a hour or so to harden the paint and then I stuck them on.  Looked great for the next 6 years or so until I sold the car.  They probably still look nice.

·
Super Moderator
59,472 Posts
Best way to remove the fender ones, is to find a way to get behind them, and push on the studs. You have to work them evenly, the one by the door, is the tricky one. I made up a L shaped tool, to get the one by the door, and the others, I used a small pry bar, as a hammer, to lightly tap on the studs, from under the hood.

BUT, you need to watch out, some times, they used, or body shops replaced the mount with a sheet metal nut, so you need to look/ feel for a nut first, before you start to pry or pound, or whichever way you attempt to remove them..

·
Registered
21,910 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
red, I believe.
More like an orange-red, Pat. :)

If you're good, you could repaint the emblems without removing them from the truck. ;D

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple better pictures of the tailgate emblem before and after.

Thanks for all the tips folks. I actually got back from hobby lobby where I bought the testors paints and saw the thumbs up for them. I guess great minds think alike.

Polished (as best I could, there are some super tight areas in this thing), cleaned the area to be painted, and used a toothpick to gingerly apply the paint. It actually goes down very well and can get pushed/maneuvered into the cracks of the letter.

Hope it's close to the right color, Pete {cool}

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Nice job, Pat!  That old girl is coming along quite nicely!!  {cool}

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts
Any spots that you got a little up on the rim you can just wait and let it harden and hit the higher edge with some polish and take it off.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elwenil said:
Any spots that you got a little up on the rim you can just wait and let it harden and hit the higher edge with some polish and take it off.
I actually found it easy to use my fingernail and, resting my finger on the polished area, just run it along it. The macro shot really doesn't do well to show the definition between the two areas, but it's close enough at this point. Now to wait a couple weeks for it to cure.

Time to try and figure out how to remove the fender emblems. I'm just not sure how they're held on from the back- nuts?

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts
Could be a lot of different things. Could be a barrel nut thing like these:

or a plastic version of the same thing that is slid up on the posts and then shoved through the hole to make an interference fit. Could be some of the stamped nuts screwed onto the posts, maybe some of the flat metal plates with the hole in the center and the two tabs that are pushed up on the post, or it could just be adhesive tape, but that is usually easy to see. I'd open the door and see if you can shine a light in the jamb and see the back side.

·
Super Moderator
59,472 Posts
I've seen things like those, or similar, or nuts like these.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the emblems are off. In one piece. Going back on will be interesting though.

Here is what I'm working with:

Studs. They are encapsulated by these small, plastic collars:

So I imagine the way it originally was installed was the plastic things went into the holes in the fender, then the stud from the emblem was pushed into it, pushing it outward. Unfortunately, I'm only left with three of the 8 I would need to put them back, and even then, the 3 I have are severely dried out. So I'll have to source some sort of replacement when I'm ready.

Here is a shot of the one I completed against the one as it was removed.

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts
They can probably be found cheaper, but here are some repros of the plastic retainers:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?hid=120BF15228

If you are nervous like me, you could also put emblem tape inside the emblem so that it doesn't stick out and show, maybe double it up if it won't touch to be a little extra insurance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I realize this is a very old (and very helpful!) topic, but there doesn't seem to be a thread on RCC with with a definitive answer as to the best way to reattach the emblems that have studs, and where to source the necessary materials. (the one link above to the plastic retainers is dead now)

I've just posted a new thread specifically about this issue here:
http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/attaching-securing-1970's-badges-emblems-with-studs-on-back/

This thread and mine are now both cross-referenced to each other, so feel free to reply here or there. I think that will be useful for other people searching in the future.

Thanks for any guidance!

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Elwenil said:
Year One still has them, they just moved the page location. Easily found with a little seaching:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/fj343
Thanks!

$20 shipped is a lot for 5 little pieces of plastic! Since I know the right terms to search now, i was able to find an ebay seller listing what appears to be the same thing at a much lower price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Emblem-Trim-Retainers-1962-Up-A-B-C-E-Body-10-Pack-13-/130993101070

I went ahead and ordered some and will report back as to how well they work.

So, out of the many different options mentioned in this post, the plastic retainers are the most preferable (with a little added emblem tape for good measure)?

Do you recommend a specific emblem tape?

·
Super Moderator
29,902 Posts
The plastic retainers were the factory method of retaining the emblems.  They usually worked pretty good though I have seen people have issues with them after a repaint.  Emblem tape works pretty well if the emblem has enough surface area on the back side to give them emblem something to stick to.  The "Power Wagon" hood emblems are a good example of an emblem that can be a pain to keep on for more than a few years since the back side if hollow with just the outline to stick to.  As far as what kind of emblem tape, nothing but 3M tape is worth the effort.  As with any sort of adhesive, surface prep is the key to a good job.  Clean all surfaces thoroughly with alcohol at the least, acetone preferably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks! Great advice.

I edited my previous reply to include a link to an ebay seller I found that appears to have the same retainers at less than 20% the price.

Elwenil said:
The "Power Wagon" hood emblems are a good example of an emblem that can be a pain to keep on for more than a few years since the back side if hollow with just the outline to stick to.
Interesting. My Power Wagon hood emblems have screws through the middle of them! They'll rotate on the screws by hand, but stay in place if left alone.

My Custom 150 emblems (pictured below, the ones I'm trying to attach) also have hollow backs, so we'll see how I can do with the tape...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts