Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to helicoil the back exhaust bolt on one of my heads. Do I have to remove the intake or can I just remove the head? Also has anyone had to helicoil a bolthole that runs into a water jacket? A leaking bolt is what got me into this mess, Do I have to put something on the helicoil so it wont leak too?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
while i think oyu could remove the head without removing the intake, the question is why put your self through that misery.

pull the extra 6 bolts and take off the intake, life will be so much simpler.

and yes you will probably need some kind of sealer on that helicoil

eric

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just seems a little easier. I would not have to mess with the carb and linkages. I just dont know if it would seal back to the way it was with the heads in place and then the intake put on. I bought a tube of liqued teflon, the guy at napa said it would work better then silacon for the header bolts. I guess it would work for the helicoil also.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
littlejohn44 said:
It just seems a little easier. I would not have to mess with the carb and linkages. I just dont know if it would seal back to the way it was with the heads in place and then the intake put on. I bought a tube of liqued teflon, the guy at napa said it would work better then silacon for the header bolts. I guess it would work for the helicoil also.
the big trouble you will run into is replacing the head. i just cant really see a way you are going t okeep intake gasket in place while trying to slide head back underneath of intake.

trust me, it will be easier in the long run to just remove intake.

as far as getting it to seal back to the way it was before head removal, that is the way every engine i can think of is done. and they all seal just fine.

eric

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
yer just asking for trouble

sometimes, the best way to do it, takes a bit more work. But in the long run, it'll be done right.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn I knew it but just didnt wanna listen to myself. I have [email protected]#ked up a bunch allready and I figured the less I do the better off I am Not so. So what do you guys use for the sealant for the threads?
'

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
you need to put a stud in there and not a bolt. Make sure its a high grade stud and that it bottoms out. In the future i'm going to try short set screws and bottom them out then use header bolts and see how that works. Liquid teflon definetly works better then RTV silicon.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Permatex #1 and let it set overnight if you have the time.

Mac

littlejohn44 said:
Damn I knew it but just didnt wanna listen to myself. I have [email protected]#ked up a bunch allready and I figured the less I do the better off I am Not so. So what do you guys use for the sealant for the threads?
'

·
Registered
145 Posts
do you not have enough room to do this
with the head in place? i have done some other
engines with broken bolts and left the head on
just have to be careful
usualy start with a left hand drill bit drill it
if it does not come out ez-out it
than if it still needs it heilcoil it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the head big mistake. I did not have much room so instead of half ass doing it, I pulled the head. The heads are rebuilds from autozone or something. The old helicoil got stuck in the rtv I used and extended out causeing the first thread to lock on to the screw. That is why I broke the head of the bolt off. Anyway I got the head off and used a pair of vise grips and the dam thing came out. All of it, the helicoil too. I could have done it in the truck but i wanted to do it the right way. Waste of time.
The only studs I can find are carb studs that are thee 5/16 18 thread. Where would I look ? The zone dont have em at least not that they know of

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Any engine shop will be able to fix for ya man ..... might be better to drop the 40 bucks nad let a shop do it .... some napa places have a mchine shop in them call around if not anybody that rebuilds engines can do it man .

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
carquest also does machining as does big a (not sure about big a but I work at a carquest that does it)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The heads were allready helicoiled. I guess the one had so much trash in it that it caused the helicoil to seperate. That is what caused the bolt to break ( and me not paying attention to what I was doing) I cleaned up the old helicoil threads in the head and put a new helicoil in it. I could not get the intake manifold loose without ripping all the gaskets so I put the manifold gasket on the head and cornerd the head on the dowel in one corner and swung it up and on the other dowel. The head sits flat and the manifold gasket is straight, at least all the holes line up. Do you guys think this will seal? I really dont wanna have to get a new intake set if I dont have to.
Oh and sorry for the long posts. I try to describe to the best of my knowledge so that you guys can understand my ******* mechanicing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts