Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of side effects will i see from doing this? Will it affect performance? I have a leak where the air tube meets the passenger side manifold on my 90 360 RC. Would it be possible to use a set of headers and just plug the air injection holes on the heads? IF so, has anyone done this before? Also what kind of headers is everyone running, likes and dislikes. It is an automatic truck and ive noticed in the listings of some of the headers it shows some modifications needed to work.

thanks

bill

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
muddyforeman said:
What kind of side effects will i see from doing this? Will it affect performance? I have a leak where the air tube meets the passenger side manifold on my 90 360 RC. Would it be possible to use a set of headers and just plug the air injection holes on the heads? IF so, has anyone done this before? Also what kind of headers is everyone running, likes and dislikes. It is an automatic truck and ive noticed in the listings of some of the headers it shows some modifications needed to work.

thanks

bill
Actually it will probably increase performance by a few hp, not really noticable. There are a lot of people who have done this, though not me. I have a set of Thorley 114Y-S headers with the air injection tubes ($359 from Summit). These headers will bolt right on, but you will need to have a bung welded into the collector for your O2 sensor.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Is the leak in the tube or the manifold itself bad? I'd guess the tube. When my air pump fell off, I removed the tube and cut some covers for the manifold holes out of some scrap steel (one leg of a chunk of angle iron actually) to match the shape of the new gaskets and bolted them up to cover the holes where the tubes meet the exhaust manifolds. There's also a tube from the air pump to the passenger side manifold that operates the , uum, thingi (totally spacing it's name now) that sends the hot exhaust up into the manifold for heating it up quicker in cold weather. Heat riser valve mabey, no that don't sound right. Anyway, unhooked it with the air pump missing and plugged the threaded hole.

That was on an 85 3/4 ton with a carb'd 318. An idea if you don't want to spend the money on headers right now.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I hate smog pumps, I say ditch them cause of all the leaks the pipes get and the stupid pumps get tight over time. The pumps will lock up if you don't run a belt on them. Thats how crappy they are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.