Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process on swapping my 2 barrel carb and manifold for a 4 and would like to remove the A/C compressor at the same time. As it sits now it has 2 belts that run the compressor and alternator. The compressor sits on top in the middle, while the alt is on the passenger side and the power steering in on the driver side with it's own belt. The problem is that the belts hit the water pump on the way to the alternator when removing the A/C compressor. Do I need to just grab the brackets from a non A/C dodge, and swap them in? I would like to keep the power steering pump and alternator in the same general locatoin if possible. This is for a 1982 Dodge truck 4x4 with a 318. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go to the junkyard and get the pulleys and brackets from a non-A/C car or truck (they are the same). Everything will be in the same place as it was before - don't get too crazy with the size of the 4V you put on your 318 - I have seen several 318's get over-carbed and actually lose power! I wouldn't go much over a 600 cfm unless it is built. Your pulleys and brackets shouldn't cost too much - If you have problems finding some I might be able to locate some here in NC for you - good luck!

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
howdy and sort of welcome to the board / its just strange that you registered last year and this is yer first post / no biggy some people like to lurk / depending on yer setup / you just mite need an idler pulley that go,s right were the AC compressor was / if you get the right 4BBl manifold you can keep the AC

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I got the intake and Quadrajet carb from non A/C truck with a 360. I don't think it will be overkill, it's just stock equipment. I remember the alternator was on the driver side not the passenger side like mine. I can't remember where the steering pump was. Guess I need to make a trip back to the junkyard to grab the brackets. The A/C never worked when I got it, and it won't hold a charge. It is just a beater so I am not concerned with keeping the A/C, or spending money to get it working. Thanks for the replys.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if he wants to ditch the A/C (the carb/manifold swap have no relavence in that) then he just needs to run down to the local auto parts store and get belts for a non-A/C truck. No need to swap in different pullys and whatnot.

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
the belts from the ALT also run the AC compressor and around the crank / you cant take the AC off without either haveing an idler pulley for the belts to ride on or non AC water pulleys for the belts to ride on

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
these guys are right, after doing this same thing to mine i discovered i needed the pulleys off of a non a/c vehicle. may also need the crank pulley as well.

on mine i needed the new waterpump pulley and crank pulley, make sure that you get them off of a vehicle with the same number of grooves on the alternator as well, when i swapped from a 2 groove alternator to a single groove i needed different pulleys as well

as long as the qjet is off of a small block dodge then it should be fine with that 318

eric

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I would have assumed the pulleys were the same and they just used a longer belt for an A/C eqipped engine, but apparently not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stickman, you said the alt was on the driver side on the parts truck? I have never seen that - although I guess it is possible - are you sure it wasn't the air/smog pump?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts