Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common are these? I've got an '85 W350 with a 360 and remote reservoir power steering pump. I plan to use this on my '77 RC w/440. I'll build my own reservoir for extra capacity with my hydro assist steering and I think this is a excellent solution. The best part is, the remote reservoir pump bolts right up to the same brackets as the "canned ham" pump shown below. :)

I knew the post ~'80 pumps used metric hose fittings, but I didn't realize the mounting studs and bolts were also metric, so I'll get some new hardware tomorrow and mount it up.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
I think those were used m,ostly on 3/4 ton or bigger trucks..thats what I seen them on..i dont think I have seen one on a half ton..I got one Im putting into my RC when I rebuild the engine

·
5,141 Posts
I was just looking at that for mine, let me know how you adapt it to the filler on the power steering pump

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trailduster79 said:
I was just looking at that for mine, let me know how you adapt it to the filler on the power steering pump
I'm not using the stock reservoir cap. I'm using THIS filtered breather cap in my reservoir. I'll probably use 3.5" or 4" tubing 8" to 12" long, cap the ends, and weld bungs into the top and bottom for the cap and a hose fitting.

·
5,141 Posts
would make for a good how to. Since use running hydro assist need a reservoir for the extra fluid. The radiator hose on top of the pump works, but it don't look all that good

G

·
Trailduster79 said:
would make for a good how to. Since use running hydro assist need a reservoir for the extra fluid. The radiator hose on top of the pump works, but it don't look all that good
Your right about that.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
hey tv that looks like mine:) ya i think they are common on one tons for some reason that is all i have seen them on. i used the stock resovoir and cap with my hydro, hell it is still there today even with the cummins pump. i just modified it to work with the cummins, it seems to do the job fine with a ram smaller than two inches.

jamie

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrpeal said:
it seems to do the job fine with a ram smaller than two inches.
Thats just it, I'm using the 2" ram so I'm sure I'll need more capacity. It might help with cooling too.

I didn't realize these were common on '80's 1 tons. I don't know why more people don't use it with hydro assist.

·
5,141 Posts
Yeah, I am using a 2 inch ram also. I definitely thing a power steering cool is almost needed when constantly using the steering in rocks. I think I had overheating problems this weekend with mine.

Right now I have about 14 inches or so of radiator hose on top of the pump, and it seems to hold enough fluid fine, but I know eventually it may fall off or the hose clamp may come loose or something, so I would love to have a more secure way to hold the extra fluid

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I know that Chrislib has one on his 3/4 ton but im not shuer if it was swaped with the crate engine. My Crew does have the internial reservior unit :(

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
OK. Stupid question. If the ram is a dual acting (ie cylinder fills both ways), Why do you need extra capacity ???

The power steering gear will use the same amount of fluid, and if the piston holds 1 qt when it's all the way to the left, it will hold 1 qt also when all the way to the right. Sinced the fluid would come out of one side and go into the other side, I can't see why a larger reservoir is needed.

Seems to me like as long as the sytem is filled and no air is in it, the volume of fluid would remain constant, it's just where the fliud is that would change (ie, which side of the piston it is filling).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
OK. Stupid question. If the ram is a dual acting (ie cylinder fills both ways), Why do you need extra capacity ???

The power steering gear will use the same amount of fluid, and if the piston holds 1 qt when it's all the way to the left, it will hold 1 qt also when all the way to the right. Sinced the fluid would come out of one side and go into the other side, I can't see why a larger reservoir is needed.

Seems to me like as long as the sytem is filled and no air is in it, the volume of fluid would remain constant, it's just where the fliud is that would change (ie, which side of the piston it is filling).
Good point. Read the How To this morning and never gave it a thought. You are right, though. Shouldn't need extra capacity.

·
5,141 Posts
I had always thought the same thing, but since the how-to had it in there, I added it.

Very good point. Shouldn't need any extra fluid capacity at all.

Maybe someone smarter than I will be able to anser the question.

Now that I think of it, West Texas doen't send a tank or anything for extra fluid capacity.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are both wrong. The ram I have is double acting, 2" diameter, with an 8" stroke. The ram shaft is 1.125" in diameter, the shaft is inside the cylinder only when the ram is retracted (turning left in my case), the volume of this shaft is pushed out of the cylinder every time the ram goes from fully extended, to fully retracted. Then of course it returns when the ram fully extends again.

A quick calc:
shaft diamter = 1.125"
full stroke = 8"

volume displaced = 3.14*(1.125/2)*(1.125/2)*8.0 = 7.9 cubic inches = .14 quarts

That doesn't sound like much, but remember that you also need thermal expansion capacity when the oil gets hot. A greater initial volume, means more thermal expansion volume.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I've just bought the ram assist parts from National Tool using Gmule's How To and I'll be using a big rig reservoir. If I get a chance, I'll take a few snap shots of some of their designs. Most should be available cheap in a big rig salvage yard.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My new custom reservoir (2.5 quart capacity) and pump mounted in the old pump's original brakets. Seems to work great.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
That looks cool Trenton. I just use radiator hose for my extra capacity. I have yet to overheat the fluid though, and we do long trail runs through rocks quite frequently. Maybe since I am using alot of radiator hose, there is enough fluid in it to keep it from heating up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts