Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an issue that showed up last week with a relay behind my dash going nuts. For some reason it stopped this morning once I got about 55-60mph (not sure if that's a coincidence or not)

Anyway, it's the relay behind my dash, to the left of the radio (if viewing from driver's seat). It's the relay on the back of that metal bracket shaped kind of like a π symbol. Relay is on the far back side, feels like 2 separate relays mounted together on a single plate, then screwed to the bracket. There is another relay on the left side of the bracket.

The relay I'm having issues with is on the back left side. Has a light blue and light green wire coming out of it. I have no idea where these wires go and I can't seem to find them in the Haynes Repair Manual. I'm worried this is gonna screw up something in the truck due to the rapid on-off switching but everything on the vehicle is acting as it normally does.

Anyone know what this relay does and where the wires may be going? This is my daily driver or I would take it apart and figure it out myself.

Will post pictures if needed (and if I can figure them out)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize I repeated myself multiple times, just trying to tap fast and be thorough while I've got a free minute. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
First off, throw away the Haynes manual.  They are full of errors and don't even go into near enough detail to service even simple systems in the truck.  Get a FSM, it is well worth the money and will pay for itself quickly.

As for the relays, there are several that could be there from horn relays, wiper delay controls to window relays.  You can diagnose what the relay does by unplugging it and seeing what doesn't work anymore, or narrow it down by pulling fuses and seeing which one stops the relay from clicking.  Also many Mopar relays have the part number stamped on them, so if you can post that, it can help narrow it down if it's a good number.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
I'm confused, you know  the relay is not working, but do not know what it does.

The only double looking relay I can think of, is for the power locks.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is not working because it's firing on and off like a jackhammer. It does seem possible that you're right about it being the door locks, I will try and verify once I get home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just seen your post Elwenil, I'll try some troubleshooting tonight. So far everything is acting like it usually does which is why I wasn't sure if it was something a little more important than what you mentioned. This became my daily driver after my car was a victim of Dallas driving. Still gotta pay that thing off (with even higher payments now) so I may have to stick with Haynes for now. It's came in handy a couple times when trying to eliminate possible issues for troubleshooting, but it has been mostly useless this far.

Thanks for the advice. Will post back when I get the chance.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
on a bracket , by the radio , on an '84 .... hummmm wasn't there a wiper delay , and a maintenance reminder , and or the seat belt /key buzzer stuff on a separate bracket ... yeah a factory book ....  ;D

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
dodge82273 said:
on a bracket , by the radio , on an '84 .... hummmm wasn't there a wiper delay , and a maintenance reminder , and or the seat belt /key buzzer stuff on a separate bracket ... yeah a factory book .... ;D
Wiper delay is smaller and green plastic I think. maintenance reminder is larger (fits a 9v battery in it) and is way on the right side behind the glove box.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
memory loss , thanks , key in buzzer ? there was something there on a bracket , and if I recall it didn't go back in ..lol

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
dodge82273 said:
memory loss , thanks , key in buzzer ? there was something there on a bracket , and if I recall it didn't go back in ..lol
IIRC key buzzer is similar size to wiper delay module but different color. Mine doesn't have any of those anymore.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l had a RC that would drive you crazy because of the clicking from the door lock relays , it turned out to be the door lock motor bouncing off its contacts clicking the relays , it try,in to push the lock up but falling back down / pull up or push down on the door lock knob and see if it stops

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.