Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a little messed up, but not nearly as bad as i expected. The rear bumper was taped and is a little tweaked. No body damage. All the windows are busted out. Bunch of cigarette buts on the floor and leftover food from ralleys all over. They did leave 1/2 tank of gas in it. Was at 1/4 when they took it.

The cop was a complete jerk. Got an atitude when i told her i already had a towtruck on the way cause she had to cancel the one she called. I asked her if she searched it and she just said no with a look that said "i aint gonna either". I diddnt want to be responsible for anyones crackpipe or whatever else coulda been in there. She was so fat, her gut was actually touching the computer mounted on the center console in the car. She prolly just diddnt want to get out.

Im just glad we got it back and it is repairable.

I did find one gem while cleaning out all the glass. Mr thief lost his cell phone. It was wedged between the seats. It was all wet (like the rest of the interrior) from the rain all weekend. Went and bought a charger and it turned on alright, but after playing with it for just a few seconds, the screen went blank. It will turn back on, but now it just gives an error mesage about "no SIM card" The t-mobile stores everything on the card, so i cant see any contacts or call logs. I am hoping the SIM is still ok. Gonna go to a buddies in the AM to see if it works in his phone.

If it works, it might be time to make some international calls.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I believe I would have a word with the chief of police or possibly someone at the local paper.  If that fat ass excuse for a public servent doesn't want to waddle out of the cruiser to do her job, she doesn't deserve to have a job {flame}

Didn't want to search the truck or dust for prints......what are the tax payers supplying her with a paycheck for {rant}

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if you can get any t-mobile sim card the saved numbers will show up also if you think the police will do any thing you can turn it over to them and they have software available to them to get the info off the phone you may even get money out of the joy riders.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lopaka311 said:
if you can get any t-mobile sim card the saved numbers will show up also if you think the police will do any thing you can turn it over to them and they have software available to them to get the info off the phone you may even get money out of the joy riders.
I will try, but im gonna bet that they wont have any interest in such a case. The police and fire dept has been cut several times in the last 2 years. I would feel more satisfied racking up their phone bill or just turning any info found over to the neighbor down the street that takes his neighborhood security quite serious.

On the t-mobile thing, a guy at work is gonna bring his old t-mobile phone in tonight. So i can see if the problem is the phone or if the card is shot.

The ins adjuster came out today. They are paying to fix every ding, dent and scratch on the thing. Even one from 2 years ago that already has rust on it. New pasenger seat from a cig burn, all the windows, rear bumper. The clunking in the front end that is from driving down our crappy street every day. Weatherstriping on the back door thats comming loose. So even tho the deductible is 1k, it will probably work out to be a good thing. With all the body work, im sure the shop can work with us on the deductible. Her buddy ownd a custom and classic restoration shop and hes going to do all the work.
First claim with Progressive and i am happy with their service :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if they can tie the thieves to this the police will get about 50-60% of what they are forced to pay for retribution.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Keep in mind that many smart phones and even some normal cell phones can be remotely deactivated when lost or stolen. It may have been shut down remotely or it could have been damaged by the water. You should inform the police and the insurance company about the phone and the police should want it as evidence and the insurance company will definitely be interested in prosecuting and possibly recovering some of their expenses.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Elwenil said:
Keep in mind that many smart phones and even some normal cell phones can be remotely deactivated when lost or stolen. It may have been shut down remotely or it could have been damaged by the water. You should inform the police and the insurance company about the phone and the police should want it as evidence and the insurance company will definitely be interested in prosecuting and possibly recovering some of their expenses.
yes I didn't even think about the insurance company they can and most likely will keep on the police to get their money back.

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
If it simpley wont come on because of water damage, get a bunch of uncooked rice and cover the phone with it in a bowl and leave it.  The rice will dry out the phone and it should work again.  More extreme measure is to put it in the oven for a little bit, but I would try the rice first :)

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
Psycoticredneck said:
I believe I would have a word with the chief of police or possibly someone at the local paper. If that fat ass excuse for a public servent doesn't want to waddle out of the cruiser to do her job, she doesn't deserve to have a job {flame}.

Didn't want to search the truck or dust for prints......what are the tax payers supplying her with a paycheck for {rant}
X2 on that one! :mad:

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Sam Simpson said:
If it simpley wont come on because of water damage, get a bunch of uncooked rice and cover the phone with it in a bowl and leave it. The rice will dry out the phone and it should work again. More extreme measure is to put it in the oven for a little bit, but I would try the rice first :)
I put mine in the dryer with the rest of my stuff.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
sorry to see that happen but glad you got it back.

what's with all the wet phone stories here? you guys forgetting to leave them in the glove box when you get out in the water or what?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Having once been an adjuster, I would suggest talking to your adjuster.  Then you should be sent to a  a guy one step up the stairs to work on it.  Progressive should have sources that can recover any data on the phone.  We recovered data off of computers that had been through house fires and fire department water damage.

It was always fun to catch someone with technology when we could.  Usually doesn't do the adjuster much good but the supervisor gets a promotion and eventually the adjuster gets to be supervisor.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I wouldn't even want it back.
Most likely some punk stole it just for kicks.  Who knows if they didn't take it out and do burnouts.  
The smoked in and I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.  My wife and son are allergic to it.  
Then they break the windows out (for the hell of it) and the interior gets wet.  
I think you would be better off if you never saw it again.  

I never had a vehicle stolen but I did have all my tools ripped off once.  
They broke into my shop and ripped off $1500 worth of tools.  The cops didn't give a crap.   :mad:
One showed up and filled out a report, but they didn't dust for prints, didn't even go in the shop.  
I asked "What is going on around here??  This is a quiet community!"  The cop said "Ahh, probably just a bunch of kids wanting something to sell for beer money"  
That comment really pissed me off.  His attitude was "sucks to be you!"

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, i am glad to habe it back.  Blue book is 10k and theres still 4k owed on it. Minus a 1000 deductible, that leaves 5 grand to replace it.  Not gonna find a 4 door truck with less then 100,000 miles for that.  We would have had to get her a car that she doesnt want. She loves that truck.

They probably did drive around like maniacs, but that doesnt make anything about it garbage. I was worried about the flimsy front suspension, but i couldnt find any evidence that anything was hit or run over.  No scufs or gouges in the tire sidewalls. No dents or scratches on the front crossmembers or lower controll arms.  The last weak link is the transmission that is still under extended waranty for another 22k miles.

When we get it back, the visible wear from the last 78k miles will all be repaired.  How woulod i be better off if i never saw it again?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Asymetric said:
No, i am glad to habe it back. Blue book is 10k and theres still 4k owed on it. Minus a 1000 deductible, that leaves 5 grand to replace it. Not gonna find a 4 door truck with less then 100,000 miles for that. We would have had to get her a car that she doesnt want. She loves that truck.

They probably did drive around like maniacs, but that doesnt make anything about it garbage. I was worried about the flimsy front suspension, but i couldnt find any evidence that anything was hit or run over. No scufs or gouges in the tire sidewalls. No dents or scratches on the front crossmembers or lower controll arms. The last weak link is the transmission that is still under extended waranty for another 22k miles.

When we get it back, the visible wear from the last 78k miles will all be repaired. How woulod i be better off if i never saw it again?
Yeah, I'm sure they took it in for an oil change before the knocked the windows out of it too! ;D

Just kidding.

I know how I would feel if I had a fairly new truck and all the expense and care that goes into, just to have it trashed by a thief. But you are right; to come out ahead you are better off fixing it.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Glad you got it back.  ;D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I had a friend that had his 82 subaru taken for a joy ride and returned by the time he was done with work the next morning. he called the police just to make sure that if anything happened with the car illegally aka robbery etc. they wouldn't throw him in jail for what ever happened. well he call the Boulder police department at 11 am they finally showed up around 5pm then after an hour of taking the report they told him it was his fault parking it where he did. which was the designated for the company he was working for. Well this really pissed him off.  He almost killed the officer tore up the report walked through the business door (had to replace it the next day at his expense) after that the police would drive down the alley every night like every 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sam Simpson said:
If it simpley wont come on because of water damage, get a bunch of uncooked rice and cover the phone with it in a bowl and leave it. The rice will dry out the phone and it should work again. More extreme measure is to put it in the oven for a little bit, but I would try the rice first :)
Rice? There's a better idea. Just leave the phone out in the sun, then to see if it's still wet, stick it in a plastic zip lock bag and put it out in the sun again. If you see moisture on the bag after awhile, you know the phone is still wet. Take it out of the bag and allow to dry some more, then test it with the zip lock bag again.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Actually the rice idea works very well for a lot of devices and usually letting it sit overnight in the bowl is plenty to dry it out completely and safely.  The warranty on said device will be shot due to the security labels getting wet but in the case of a found criminal's phone, that is not an issue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts