Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I have not had my 4x4 RC long enough to be recommending too many trails to anyone. Below in another post are a few that I enjoyed.

Please list out some of the ones you have experienced and the difficulty rating. I will post a trail rating system that is used by a lot of 4x4 clubs in AZ.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The only trail I have been on is the Backroad to Crown King. This trail was moderate, definitely a four wheel drive trail, with some difficult spots where vehicles without a lift will need a spotter and will have some definite difficulty. My friend made it up in her Jeep Wrangler with 31"tires and no lift, but with such the short wheelbase made it a bit easier. We helped out a guy who had flipped his truck, but he was trying something that he shouldn't have with his experience and a relatively stock Samurai. I have heard Sheeps Bridge is a good trail and fairly easy with some river crossings. Also going up the Hassayampa, I have heard, is a good trail. If you guys want to go to Crown King, we can go the front way (through Bumblebee) and do a little wheelin to get to a good camp site. I know of one that is awesome, where you look down onto Lake Pleasant and the Valley, unbelievable view. It would be a 4wd trip, but the trail section is easy to moderate. If we could go there, it would be awesome.

Ryan

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Crown King (back way) gets a big {cool} from me. We could still end up at 1bad's cool campground too.

I'm sure everybody's rig could make Crown King. Especially if the rumor is true about the ledge getting blown up.

We'd need an early start though. Last time we did it, it took us all day to get up there. Fun fun trip though.

There's so many trails, and so few days off! ;D Let's get something planned, and quit talking about it! :D :D :D

Edit: Using AZRC's trail rating guide, I give Crown King back way (CKBW) a 3.5. And that is with the high ledge that may now be gone.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey, it's funny you talk about that site, '84! I can't tell you how many times I've been to Crown King trying to go to Horse Theif Basin to see if you can truly catch a view of Pleasant and the road was closed! We were up about a month ago and it was closed due to fire hazard! :-\ I'd love to check out your campsite.

I've been told it's not closed as much as it's just my luck! I think it sounds like a winner. Especially since all the ammenities are there and if we or some don't want to do the backside rt., they can go through Bumblebee (good for even Hondas). I'd love to take the Charger from Pleasant, but Andi's not really into gettin' too shook up with bein' pregnerpated and all! Maybe she'll be better by then.

Did you know that Crown King has an unusually amazing hummingbird migration? We probably saw 20-30 while we were up there and you can walk right up to them and almost pet them...weird!:eek:

If someone don't want to camp, there's cabins & rooms, too. We prefer the ground!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would agree with GP on the rating for Crown King Back Way. That one ledge is the only reason that it would get a 3.5, otherwise a 3.0 rating. It has been a couple of years since I was on that trail and that was a dirt bike and not a truck. I have also heard about the cabins you can rent up in CK. I think this would be a good trail to do but maybe not the first one as a group, some of the ledges/steep overhangs were the trail gets narrow might be intimidating for beginners/spouses. My spouse being in that group.

Has everyone done Schnebly Hill Road (2.0 rating) in Sedona? This is a good moderate/easy trail that even 2WD trucks can handle when weather conditions are dry. It is also very scenic, great picture taking. There is also other trails and hiking there.

There are some moderate trails in the Florence area too. I think I remember hearing that GP had to back a vehicle out of Box Canyon. I only recall that because I had to do the same with a Tahoe. The mirrors started to get very close to the side walls and I decided that was enough (new vehicle at that time).

I have a couple of 4x4 trail books for AZ. I will try to make some suggestions when I can remember to bring them to work. ;D

·
Registered
660 Posts
If we decide to do Crown King, we would definitely need to get an early start. When we went up it took us 9 hours, but that was with a stop about half way up to do some repairs. Mtngoat, its too bad you couldn't get to that site, its definitely worth the trip. Hopefully when we go up there you won't jinx us!!! ;) ;D You are guys are right though that the ledge above the oro belle mine is the worst part. Lets get it arranged guys!!! I would say October, not the last weekend though, I am getting married then. By then it will be cooler, so those of us w/o a/c won't be fried eggs by the time we get there. Plus then overheating will be less of an issue. We could go into town and grab a bit at the restaurant and then head to the campsite by dark. I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm thinkin' if some 2x's and/or spouses don't feel up to the back way, they can make it a party of their own till we get there-perhaps fish if there truly is a lake up there! Maybe to get some of the camping gear up there so as not to have to lug it on the trail. Sucks when your bouncin' around and you hear the hiss of a propane bottle from the BOTTOM of the pile in back!

Maybe one 2x & one 4x convoy seem the way to go. I think that's what I like about CKing, lot's of options. There's wheelin' once we get there, too. Up around the Senator hwy (right there! :D) there's roads and trails for all. I don't know how much got burned up around there, though :\'(.

There's food, bars, dancin'- oh! did I mention these cute little hummingbirds?! :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Probally won't make this run. Lost oil press in the 440 on the way home from work Thurs morning. Pulled it over and had it ramp trucked home. I'll pull the oil pan this weekend and take a look.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been waiting to try Crown King for months now. :D I'll be there for sure if you guys decide to go. I've heard that Broken Arrow near Sedona is a real good trail, but it's only about 2hrs up and down. I've been on Oak Creak Homestead which is also near Sedona and is a fairly easy trail. I've also attempted several other trails near Florence, but I had to turn back because the person I was with only had a 2wd. Table Mesa road is another good trail to do. In any case, I'll be up for whatever everybody else wants to do. ;D

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hey, don't forget me!!!{wave} Crown King sounds like fun. I'll go down to the BLM office and see of they have any maps of that area on monday 26. We'll have to put our heads together to find a meeting point. Anyone have any sugestions?? Looking on the map, do you use the Castle Hot Springs road? Any sugestions on a date? How about Columbus Day weekend, 12, 13, 14? Oh yea, should at least some of us carry cb radios for communication?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The CB radios would be a good idea for a group 4x4 trip. They are fairly inexpensive, especially if you find one at a garage sale. We use CB's in the 4x4 club I am in.

Those other trails in Sedona (Colossus Ram) sound good too. ;D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey, I got a spare little CB cig lighter plug in type someone could use. As far as meeting places, if any 2x's want to go, maybe we should meet by I-17 so we can split up there. That way, the 2x's can take up camping gear so we don't have to trail with it. Question is, are there any 2x's going? Or just those who don't want to take the trail?

I'm thinkin we could all pich in and by the 2x's a steak dinner in Cking for luggin the junk? I dunno

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Crown King rocks. I am 100% up for it. The 2xs in by Bumble Bee and the 4xs up the back way sounds fun.

For those interested, there is a nice bed and breakfast up there, and the MIll restaurant is really cool.

Camping is way good for us too. Do I sound stoked for this? I am.

On the topic of radios, those little FRS handhelds are nice too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds great guys, but until later in the year I couldn't join... Too many things to do on it... Grrr...

Jay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts