Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed a rebuilt carb that I got from Summit. After unnecessary extra work”crimped the fuel line so I had to replace that” I got it running pretty good. I went to fine tune the idle screws to what seemed ideal, and it flooded out when I backed into my turn around spot in my driveway. I had to remove the spark plugs overnight to air it out before it would start back. So now... it will crank up relatively smoothly every day and idle nicely. If I crank it right after shut off up to a few minutes after shut off it’s fine. If I wait 30 minutes or more it won’t crank. Next day same cycle. Groundhog Day, but the blizzard is a carburetor problem. Any ideas... thanks. it’s a 1985 318v8 with a holly 2280 carb. Stock. I feel like float level? Don’t know what the level should be though.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
it sounds like your carb is leaking down , the only thing l can think of is the well plugs being loose

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
when you say "it won't crank " do you mean the starter will not turn the engine over , OR do you mean it don't start/run ? Pulling the plugs sounds like it has flooded so bad it locked up , which would be a non working needle and seat ( fuel shut off)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree it's probably leaking down, meaning needle and seat problem. However, I once had the exact same problem with my 'Cuda after I built the 340 for it. After much hair pulling I figured out that the high volume fuel pump I thought I needed was loading up the carb and flooding it out. Swapped it out for a stock unit and no more problems.

Stupid things you think you need....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree it's probably leaking down, meaning needle and seat problem. However, I once had the exact same problem with my 'Cuda after I built the 340 for it. After much hair pulling I figured out that the high volume fuel pump I thought I needed was loading up the carb and flooding it out. Swapped it out for a stock unit and no more problems.

Stupid things you think you need....
Thanks for the info so far. My old carb had a heat insulator so I’m going to try to install that whenever I get some time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts