Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a rebuild on my 360. I got it running last night and it sounded, idled and revved great. I idled it for a half an hour and then decided to take it around the block. As soon as I started rolling the engine started running rough and it sounded like the lifters are making noise. It died about a block from home and it was all I could do to limp back into the driveway. No I have to keep my foot on the gas and rev in order to just keep it running. It still runs very rough.

It was dark when I got back so I didn't get to look at it much.

Any ideas on what happened or what to do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was not a complete rebuild as I had the cylinders honed and put in new rings, cam , lifters, pushrods. I did break in the cam according to instructions and oil pressure seems fine rocker arms full of oil.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
did you put in new crank & rod bearings ??? as you had to remove these to hone the cylinders.......maybe one of them failed ??

the lifter noise you mention makes me think it might be an oil problem

G

·
Sounds more like a fuel delivery problem to me. Maybe a stuck float in the carb. Does the truck have the charcoal canisters?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Fuel delivery or timing. Make sure the carb is getting fuel, and check to see if your distributor slipped, knocking your timing out of whack.

-SM

G

·
Having a very similar situation with my newly installed 360. On idle sounds great rev.. As soon as you get it up to speed it begins to load up. Brand new Holley(2) Timings dead on at 8 d avanced ??? ???I am truly stumped as to where to go from Here. Don't mean to ride piggy back on this guys post but it seems we have very similar problems

Slanted_Mind said:
Fuel delivery or timing. Make sure the carb is getting fuel, and check to see if your distributor slipped, knocking your timing out of whack.

-SM

G

·
My first thought is timing jumped a few teeth. After that, I'd think major vacuum leak. After that, all that fuel delivery stuff and ignition. Start somewhere and rule them out one-at-a-time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Start with the initial timing setting. A friend of mine stopped over with his Chevelle after a fresh small block rebuild and couldn't understand why the idle kept changing and why it would run and idle like gang busters one minute, and barely run at all the next.....I found out the distributor hold down clamp bolt was loose and the timing was constantly changing.... So simple, yet often the last thing anyone thinks to look at. Give it a shot.

Good luck!

Dave 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The timing was off as Dave suggests. I had set it but apparently not tightened the bolt enough. How Dumb! The noise went away but I still have bogging down when I give it gas. I think this is a carb issue and I am going to rebuilt the carb this weekend and put in a new fuel filter if I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
2ram said:
The timing was off as Dave suggests. I had set it but apparently not tightened the bolt enough. How Dumb! The noise went away but I still have bogging down when I give it gas. I think this is a carb issue and I am going to rebuilt the carb this weekend and put in a new fuel filter if I get a chance.
try adjusting the setting on your accelerator pump

eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will try that. Thanks
Eric, could you explain something to me? You mentioned in another post about the advance being hooked up to a non-timed port instead of a timed port. Could you explain it more?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
2ram said:
I will try that. Thanks
Eric, could you explain something to me? You mentioned in another post about the advance being hooked up to a non-timed port instead of a timed port. Could you explain it more?
ok on most 4 bbl carbs there are 2 vacuum ports on the front of the carb for the vacuum advance to hook to, one of these ports will have vacuum supplied to the line at all times, this is the non timed port, it is usually found on the base of the carb.

the timed port usually sets a bit higher on the carb and is above the butterfly valves, therefore only getting vacuum when the valves are opened, or in other words having the vacuum timed with the valves.

most of our engines need the vacuum advance placed on the timed port, if not then if it is placed on the nontimed port your distributor will have advance being placed on it at all times causing your engine to run advanced at all times

eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts