Votes: 2 25.0%
  • drive it till blows up ? then rebuild it

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the scenario is this ...i got a 318 that has a head gasket that is cracked between cylinder 7-8 ....i found a nice 318 that is rebuilt and has maybe 500 miles on it but the engine has been pulled and sitting on a stand for awhile ...like maybe 3-4 months ...engine is owned by a mopar nut bonus there ...so i trust what he is telling me ....maybe i am too trusting sometimes ...anyhow would cost me as much to rebuild the heads and i need a set of headers due to the fact i got a smog tube in my current exhaust manifolds ...this rebuilt engine has manifolds on it ...the block is a 77 ...so vote away ...i am pretty sure i am just gonna swap engines out ....need new engine mounts anyhow along with the other mounts in the t case ...that and i was thinkin be a good time to replace the pump seal while i had the engine out ...guess i need some help confirming what i want to do ...

brian

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
I don't like to go through the hassle of removal and installation of engines without KNOWING exactly what is going on with the replacement.

It is a fear of having to do a job twice, and possibly incurring further expense. Exactly same reason I WILL NOT install junkyard electronics.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
I agree with Joe.  The ONLY reason to swap in a used engine is if that's ALL you can afford.  Better to rebuild your own, have it rebuilt or buy one from a reputable rebuilder.  You buy a used one and you don't know what you're getting.  Go the rebuild way, and you should at least end up with some kind of warranty in case something does go wrong with it.  Jasper has a 3 year, 36000 mile nationwide warranty on their stock replacement engines.  At least they did the last time I checked.  Many other rebuilders offer at least 12 month, 12k mile warranties, although you gotta check the fine print to make sure that covers labor (as a buddy of mine found out the hard way). 
Anyway, replacing motor mounts and trans pump seal are both good ideas while you have the engine out.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well interesting lol ...yea i know thats a chance i am taking ....i would hate to find out its got a bad bearing or something ...i done sunk alot of dough in this engine already ..not really in the mood to mess with it ...well if its as bad as i think it is i will replace it if the rod bearings are shot ...if i have to yank the block the engine is going for scrap ...not worth it to me to rebuild a 318 when they are a dime a dozen ...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
My truck has a Jasper 318 in it. Runs like a champ.  I ended up putting a different cam in it because the powerband seemed a little high for my 3.23 gears, but no troube with anything.  The only drawback to a reman motor like that is you have to have an authorised shop install it to get the warranty.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Not a chance I'd trust a guy who built a motor but didn't use it, and was selling it.  Nobody builds a motor, runs it for 500, and then decides to sell it.  As a gearhead I assume everybody thinks like me.  I would run that motor forever, and switch it car to car before I'd sell one I'd built- UNLESS THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT.  Could just be a spray painted pos.  Just buy some j/y heads and bolt em up.  That's my take.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
If you need to replace the engine it's the perfect time to upgrade it and improve the efficiency and optimise it to your exact needs. everyone is different and uses there vehicles in different ways. you can improve the fuel economy if that's your focus, or improve towing ability if that's your cup of tea or if your a speed demon you can built it with that in mind. my point is here is an opportunity to  tailor your rig to better suite your needs. rebuild your engine and base your parts selection on your personal needs and wants. David

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i get what u all are saying and also found out this engine has been sitting for almost 4 years too lol ...anyhow i am gonna do some diagnostics tomorrow after work and see what is going on inside of this engine before i do anything drastic lol ...and this guy dont have any paper work from the rebuild ...basically he claims he doesnt run any Small blocks and the truck it was in got junked or wrecked i think ...anyhow would rather keep what i got and rebuild it ...thing is i am not sure i can afford to rebuild the entire engine ...then again i dont need another paper weight either lol ...i guess if i do go look at this engine i will take a drill with me and prime the engine up and yank the valve covers see whats going on ...about as much as i can do with an engine sitting on the floor lol ...will see what i find with the engine i got in the ramcharger when i test it out tomorrow ...

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
How much does he want for the "rebuilt" 318?
Low cost may make one more willing to take the risk.
If it seems fine to you after checking it out closely, and the price is right, it may be a quick solution to get your rig back on the road.
And talk to the guy as much as you can, glance around his shop and other vehicles (but don't go as far as to snoop) and see what kind of feeling you get from him.  If you get a bad feeling, politely decline the purchase.

edit:  after replying I saw this was a poll, then read the "400 buck" there

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Give me leak down numbers under 10%. I also need to borescope sparkplug hole to make sure the cylinders aren't just sealed with 1/4" of junk. Turning torque of crankshaft with plugs out? Oil analysis of crankcase?

Ya that's already got too complicated and expensive to risk it. Of course, if I was a seller and supposedly built the engine I could probably have most of those tools and might gladly provide atleast 1 of the above numbers.

"oh it makes good oil pressure". I did watch 6qts of 80/90 "fix" a rod knock very temporarily. "the lucas/stp/motor honey effect".

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would skip the used engine.  I think you would be surprised to see how "cheap" a stock rebuild can be if you price it out.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Rebuilding makes sense only if you have the time and money to do so.

If I needed an engine right now, I'd search the local classifieds for a rusted out truck that ran and buy the whole truck for under $500.  I've done this in the past.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well it would seem i got lucky and a buddy at work can get my parts for while sale price ...spose to get the catalogue from the co worker tomorrow not sure what company its under ... but hell i am gonna rebuild it ...well the top half anyhow ...seems like the leak down test showed no major ring failures lol ..so that said i am going to just stick in a rv cam and rebuild the heads and new water pump (bearing in it is shot) and picked up a used e brock intake for 50 bucks ...so i am hoping i can get it done for around 400 bucks ..lol yea same amount as the other but hell i might jerk the engine out and do the bottom end maybe lol ...not sure i got the funding to have a block done ...granted i prolly could find a block somewhere else and build that while this engine sits in the RC lol ...didnt think about that lol ...i am so confused sometimes ...i know this much i am not buying some other meat heads junk ...if it was a close friend and had known the guy and knew it was rebuilt from seeing it done then yea be whole different story ...but it isnt ...so i am gonna bite the bullet do my first top end build ...the buddy at work is alot better mechanic than me and should be able to get it done in a day or two i hope once i get the heads done up and i dont find anything in the pan that is too troubling this weekend if i stay home ...sorry for the long post i really value everybodies opinion for sure i wouldnt have asked for it other wise ...didnt think i would find myself in this situation ...but i am so it's not as bad as it being my daily and needing an engine asap ...least i can take my time and get it done the right way ....although i wonder why i am doing this at all as rusted up as the body is lol .. ;D

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
here is an idea. I have a 1990 360 it is completely apart I got the heads redone it needs cleaned and honed and a gasket kit. a stock cam and lifters are not much money but it is a roller engine. so if you want a better cam they cost a lot more but a way better engine. I am never going to use it. I would let it go for a 200 you can use the intake you have and your dist. It can have a mechanical pump or go electric your choice. the emission holes just use a small tap a set screws that takes care of that issue. I work at a hot rod machnine shop and can get it cleaned for free. its just a thought but 318 are not a dime a dozen any more but with this thinking they will be hard to find in a few more years. My engine is basically a magnum with LA heads and timing cover it also has the old mounts for alt,p/s pump. It is much better to rebuild My shop might be able to help you with parts and the rebuild as well they are very well known and owned by a mopar guy. Just fuel for thought. Oh you would need a oil pan I robbed it and it on another truck oops. But the heads cost me 600 when I has them done a few years ago I can get them cleaned also. I could give you a set of headers with it also I recamend this engine to anyone I have a few trucks with this set up and they have over 150k on them. thanks for reading. good luck ;D

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
400 is what he was asking ...not really interested in it lol ...now zan may be on to something lol ...ugh ...will be in touch with u man and see what we can work out possibly ...i am uber broke for awhile ..but we shall see what i can scrounge up ...only big issue is the external balance and the flex plate swap ...and a different TC as well ...why i wanted to keep it a 318 and a different engine mount ...pretty welll versed in the 360 swap lol ...hmm...like i said will be in touch thought u were gonna build this engine for the 2wd RC lol ?  ;D

G

·
Pull the pan, look at the bearings, or if by chance the filter's still on it, cut it open and look for trash.  Look at the ex. valve stems through the ports. Caked with oil coke or clean? Plugs clean, no rust or other obvious problems? Head bolts etc. clean or have crap on 'em that's painted over? Rocker gear clean? Valve stem seals umbrella or lip seal type? Roll the motor forwards and back, see how much slack is in the timing chain. You can tell if a motor is in decent shape with a careful inspection. It is after all a Mopar engine, and the 318 doesn't suck hind tit for anybody when it comes to durability.

I've been running a $200 turd '82 360 for 6 years now, first in a D250, and now in my RC. It's not a warhorse for performance, and the rear main has started leaking, but it doesn't smoke, it's hauled me to Colorado and back, and on numerous other adventures. I've gotten my money out of it and then some. Internally I've replaced the stem seals and that's it.

While I do agree you'll know exactly what you have if you rebuild your own, there is nothing wrong with a good used engine, just look VERY carefully before you leap.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
lugnuts said:
Pull the pan, look at the bearings, or if by chance the filter's still on it, cut it open and look for trash. Look at the ex. valve stems through the ports. Caked with oil coke or clean? Plugs clean, no rust or other obvious problems? Head bolts etc. clean or have crap on 'em that's painted over? Rocker gear clean? Valve stem seals umbrella or lip seal type? Roll the motor forwards and back, see how much slack is in the timing chain. You can tell if a motor is in decent shape with a careful inspection. It is after all a Mo par engine, and the 318 doesn't suck hind tit for anybody when it comes to durability.

I've been running a $200 turd '82 360 for 6 years now, first in a D250, and now in my RC. It's not a warhorse for performance, and the rear main has started leaking, but it doesn't smoke, it's hauled me to Colorado and back, and on numerous other adventures. I've gotten my money out of it and then some. Internally I've replaced the stem seals and that's it.

While I do agree you'll know exactly what you have if you rebuild your own, there is nothing wrong with a good used engine, just look VERY carefully before you leap.
This.^ {beer} $200 "maybe" engines have taken me all over the place. I've known people to buy "guaranteed" engines for $500 and the sieze up 100 miles later for some oversight.

G

·
Bought a 2.2 out of a '82 Aries for $100 to overhaul. Motor was buried under a rat's nest and looked like hell sitting in the car. Cleaned it up first to start the teardown, noticed blue stripes on the gaskets. {Felpro}.

Was spotlessly clean inside, plugs looked good so I replaced the timing belt and water pump, stuck it in, it ran perfectly for three years, until the wife crashed the car. Maybe I'm just lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts