Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a little problem with my rearview mirrors. They fold away at highway speeds due to the lack of friction in the vertical joint (which obviously was supposed to make them movable by hand - but not by headwind). Is this a common problem and is there an easy home-meachnic fix you could suggest. Or do I have to get new mirrors?

Tightening the mounting screws won`t help...

I Attached a picture of the vehicle as there were different types of mirrors available.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
There should be nylon washers between the mirror support and mirror "L" bracket that the bolt fits into. Try replacing those. While you have it apart chase the threads with a tap and die. Mine is assembled like the following from bottom up, Bolt/metal washer/nylon washer/mirror support brackets/nylon washer/metal washer/ mirror "L" bracket.

I had the same problem awhile back. Took it all apart, chased the threads, cleaned everything including the door/mirror brackets, put new nylon washers in (mine where brittle and cracked), and reassembled. It's been working good ever since. Removing the bolt was the most difficult part of the project.

Nice looking Trail Duster. I like the color. What paint is that? Factory color?

John

·
Registered
30,115 Posts
yup the bolts like to seize in

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Agree with the comments above.
I always put a dab of this stuff on the threads... Permatex® Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 OZ

In fact, I use this stuff on a lot of threads of bolts on my truck. It keeps them from getting corroded over time. Makes for better removal later. And it has a "locking" feature to it.

·
Administrator
61,046 Posts
Agree with the comments above.
I always put a dab of this stuff on the threads... Permatex® Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 OZ

In fact, I use this stuff on a lot of threads of bolts on my truck. It keeps them from getting corroded over time. Makes for better removal later. And it has a "locking" feature to it.
Now thats interesting, I have never heard of using RTV for general thread sealeant. I have always used never sneeze or nothing for threads like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, according to your description of the setup it seems my problem is bigger than I thought. Yes, there are 4 washers, and yes, the inner ones are made of some kind of plastic. But the L-shaped mirror bracket is loose in its own, meaning the pipe-like other chrome part turns pretty freely on its core (which has the mounting bolt in it). Both have a notch in it though. Maybe there used to be some kind of pin in it to keep these two parts from twisting?? On the plus side, the bolts
came out easily...

The shade of colour is called Teal Frost and according to the fender tag it is the actual factory colour (code G4). The vehicle was repainted in 2016, but whoever did it tried to match the original paint. They did a pretty good job about it too, even if it may be a bit of a darker shade when compared to some hidden spots where I can still see the old paint. But then again, who knows what this old colour was actually like back in 1979… Also, Teal Frost was probably a rare pick (on a vehicle already rare by itself, especially with a factory km/h speedometer).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

Light Bicycle part Plumbing fitting Automotive exhaust Pipe

Tool Household hardware Auto part Metal Suspension

·
Registered
30,115 Posts
if it's spin where you say the mirrors are shot // the good news is they use that "mirror" from 1972 to 1993 on all dodge trucks and Vans , and dare l say that GM and furd use the same one [ but the door brackets are different ]

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Now thats interesting, I have never heard of using RTV for general thread sealeant. I have always used never sneeze or nothing for threads like that.
Well, I wouldn't use it for locking serious stuff.
But for general use bolts... it serves many purposes.
The biggest one is rust prevention on bolts you may not remove for several years.
I use Ultra Copper High Heat for anything close to the exhaust for the same reason.
Ever try to get collector bolts off of your exhaust without breaking them? Grade 8 bolts and nuts along with Ultra Copper never a problem. I even reuse them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it's spin where you say the mirrors are shot // the good news is they use that "mirror" from 1972 to 1993 on all dodge trucks and Vans , and dare l say that GM and furd use the same one [ but the door brackets are different ]
While I am certainly not disputing that fact I am still looking for a DIY solution. Reason 1: I`d first have to find a supplier shipping such things to Europe. Reason 2: While this is my first MOPAR it`s not my first American Classic and I have learned the hard way that replacement parts are often inferior in quality to the OEM parts. I just spent three hours making the DORMAN replacement driver side door handle fit...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forget that first reason - found it on rockauto (not listed for the specific vehicle, but in the generic parts list). Still, maybe there is someone who had the same issue and fixed it without replacement parts?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
The shade of colour is called Teal Frost and according to the fender tag it is the actual factory colour (code G4). The vehicle was repainted in 2016, but whoever did it tried to match the original paint. They did a pretty good job about it too, even if it may be a bit of a darker shade when compared to some hidden spots where I can still see the old paint. But then again, who knows what this old colour was actually like back in 1979… Also, Teal Frost was probably a rare pick (on a vehicle already rare by itself, especially with a factory km/h speedometer).
It is a real nice color.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's also excellent for teeth brushing.
Seriously, you get that stuff on skin... it's almost impossible to remove.
Sleeve Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist

girlfriend asks what’re you doing? send them the permatex picture. don’t ask me why, how, or why I didn’t wear gloves.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts

·
Vendor
11,641 Posts
The tube should be SS. You could have someone put a little SS Tig weld on it so it is held fast.
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts