Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to put a rear main seal in my bb what all do i have to do i have the pan pulled and i c 2 bolts on the bottom. what all do i have to take off??????

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
if the pan is already off, then drop the rear main cap being careful not to damage bearing halve. then roll out old seal and install new seal, replace bearing halve, and main cap and torque to specs

of course that is the nice simple easy version of it.
it actually goes something like this.
1 remove pan
2 crawl under truck
3 start cussing cuz hot oil just dripped in your eye
4 finally get oil out of eye
5 get back under truck
6 start cussing again cuz dirt dropped in eye
7 get eye fixed, finally put on safety glasses
8 loosen main cap bolts, drop main cap bolt on forehead causing nice bruise
9 try for an hour to get main cap to drop down
10 finally get cap to break loose dropping it in middle of face, causing you to slam back of head into concrete
also losing main bearing halve in process
11 spend 2.5 days trying to get old rope style seal to break loose and wondering why you didnt just drop whole crank in the first damn place
12 finally get old seal out, hopefully you didnt scratch up crank to bad by using that steel punch on the old rope seal
13 roll in new seal. WTF, was it suposed to go in that easy?
14 spend next 2 hours looking for main bearing halve you dropped and lost in step 10
15 finally give up and go buy new main bearing
16 install main bearing
17 reinstall main cap
18 spend 3.25 hours trying to locate main bearing cap bolts you tossed across driveway when main cap fell on face
19 finally find bolts and put them in place
20 torque bolts to spec
21 attempt replacement of pan, which we will get into in another thread

hope that helped chad ;D

eric

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lmfao thats great lol big help eric....thanks man..

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Rebel Ram said:
lmfao thats great lol big help eric....thanks man..
glad to be of service, and i would find what i posted alot more funny if stuff like that didnt actually happen, i have had rear main seals take 1 1/2 hours to do and had one on a mustang take 2 weeks to do. it all depends on how easy that old seal wants to come out of there and dodges use of the old rope style seal sucks.

i would highly reccomend the removal/installation tool to do this job

eric

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man fuck it i aint gonna fool with it today... aint got the right size socket all mine wont work... aint got a socket to fit the goddam hermonicbalencer bolt, fuck it im gonna call it a day and sit my ass on the comp all day its my dayoff so i think i need to relax........

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
On big blocks you don't pull any of the main bearing caps to change the rear main seal. The seal is held in a seperate cast aluminum retainer with seals on each side of the retainer cap. Don't use silicone on these side seals, just oil.

If you have the factory rope seal, carefully threading a wood grabber screw into one end and pulling is and easy way to remove it.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
tv_larsen said:
On big blocks you don't pull any of the main bearing caps to change the rear main seal. The seal is held in a seperate cast aluminum retainer with seals on each side of the retainer cap. Don't use silicone on these side seals, just oil.

If you have the factory rope seal, carefully threading a wood grabber screw into one end and pulling is and easy way to remove it.
so i wasted all of my typing skills giving him my reply? lol

i guess that is what i get for never having changed one in a big block before.

note to all others who read this thread, me earlier reply is specific to small blocks only ;D

eric

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok got one bolt out...went to try and get the other one out and lone be hold..........that one is gonna be a bitch. starts to strip...change sockets starts again.....change to another socket same thing...... get old the old trusty 12point sockts same thing............SO now wtf do i do???????

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
intenseimages-you had me rollin on the floor with laughter, I though i was the only one that did that kinda s***. Man, i was laughin hard, and everything was just about right too, when i get mad, bolts, wrenches, sockets, and various metal parts tend to fly out from under whatever in cussin on...i mean, workin on......:)

if the bolt head is rounding off, then you are usin the wrong size socket, or you used the wrong size first, now you got the right one, but you are screwed cuz you used the wrong one first....

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
powerwagon78 said:
intenseimages-you had me rollin on the floor with laughter, I though i was the only one that did that kinda s***. Man, i was laughin hard, and everything was just about right too, when i get mad, bolts, wrenches, sockets, and various metal parts tend to fly out from under whatever in cussin on...i mean, workin on......:)

if the bolt head is rounding off, then you are usin the wrong size socket, or you used the wrong size first, now you got the right one, but you are screwed cuz you used the wrong one first....
i didnt use the wrong size first......its a dam 12point socket and its in a hell of a spot, u try and change one on a bb them dam things aint easy.....imgonna try and get this new socket that we got in at work today its supose to take rounded bolts out......we will see..

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright i got the dam bolt out.....now how do i get the top of the seal out???? do i have to pull the flex plate? do i have to loosen the crack????? need help asap.....thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
The easiest way that I have found is to use a plastic dowel if you can find one that is flexible. Start pushing on the end of the seal and have someone turn the crank in the direction you are pushing. When you install the new seal,lube it up with engine oil, get it started and turn the crank as you push it in. Just hold it tight to the crank and it should walk right in. Just make sure you put the seal lip in the right way or you will end up with an even bigger leak.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cant find a plastic dowel...so whats my other options??? none lol....

·
Registered
921 Posts
The plastic stuff they make the out side door strips out of is strong and flexible, just take an x-acto knife and cut off a strip. (junk yard tech 101)

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol cool man thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts