Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a recent source for the Ramcharger rear window lock strip? A search turned up some very old threads, and LMC truck doesn't specifically list it. They do for the truck back window; are they the same?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just got a packed from Precision with front and rear. They're not exactly chrome but better than the old ones.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It was very difficult to get the new strip in.
We had to use a ton of soap water. We ended up also buying the window strip tool twice because it broke the first time.
I ended up giving up on it and the black goo has been doing just fine.

Took it to a window shop and 4 hours later they still couldn't get more then 6"in.

It takes a lot of muscle if you have the original window in.

The wedge portion that locks it in is too wide on the new strip for the original window.

I will most likely use a Dremel when I get the time and just thin it down.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes that to exactly. And it was the rubber seal that is the issue.

The newer strips have a wider lock width that doesn't fit in the OEM seal.

We ended up buying a new seal to get it to fit.

You can see in the photo how much of the lock width I had to Dremel down to get it to fit into the OEM seal.

It is almost twice the width then the original.
20210515_121432.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
It was very difficult to get the new strip in.
We had to use a ton of soap water. We ended up also buying the window strip tool twice because it broke the first time.
Damn, Now I regret not getting the tool, thought it was an easy job...;)
I got windscreen seal from them but unfortunately they don't have rear seals for RCs

With the new seal it was easy? Can it be done without the tool?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok so it was very very very difficult without the tool and no easier without the new seal.

Like I said even with the tool I broke it with the old seal.
My seal could've been dry rot as well but when you compare the two strip locks side by side you see how much wider the new strip locks are.

They damaged my OEM seal at the window shop and that is why we got the new one. I was about to just call it a quit. Like I said that black goo was holding the window in just fine.

I wouldn't even waste your time without the tool. And YouTube has great how too's that are short on how to use it.

Good luck man. Nothing fits the same anymore and it makes you double guess yourself. I hate it.
I even had my wife help and follow me with the strip do it wouldn't get cought up on anything because once you get going you don't want to stop.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think I have a thread on here with photos of the strip locks side by side? I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Found it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The difference in shape is huge, I had no clue it was that different from the original, no way it'll fit.
Like I said I thought it was a simple plug and play but your story proves me wrong ;)

Last question... Did you dremel the new lockstrip to fit the new seal or was it just a test for the old one?

Thanks for finding your previous thread - very useful (y)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ok so I shaved it for the older seal. I'm not sure how much harder it was for them with the new seal because I made them do it since they damaged the OEM during their first try.
But they got it in there so I'm sure that is the trick.
The new seal is much more pliable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Reading this and the linked thread........is the solution then to use the new seal AND new lockstrip and just hope you can manhandle it in with the more pliable new seal? Or modify the wider lockstrip? Trimming both sides of the lock strip seems like it would be incredible tedious and prone to fitment and retention problems.

Also, has anyone yet tried the black bead type lockstrip that Elwenil recommended in the linked thread? I think that one was originally for older trucks. I'm thinking about giving that a try.

I wonder if contacting Precision may help? Seems like they modified one of their current offerings to work for the vent window weatherstrip, maybe they could help with this problem....possibly source a narrower lockstrip?

·
Registered
462 Posts
When I contacted Precision few months back they didn't have rear seal for RC, only for pickups.

Edit:

@attic.505 Which one did you get?

Listed Applications WCR1129 (from Precision site)
1975 - 1989 Dodge - D100
1975 - 1980 Dodge - D200
1975 - 1980 Dodge - D300
1975 - 1977 Dodge - W100
1975 - 1980 Dodge - W200
1975 - 1980 Dodge - W300
1977 - 1993 Dodge - D150
1977 - 1993 Dodge - W150
1978 - 1981 Dodge - D400
1978 - 1981 Dodge - D450
1981 - 1993 Dodge - D250
1981 - 1993 Dodge - D350
1981 - 1993 Dodge - W250
1981 - 1993 Dodge - W350
1986 - 19 89 Dodge - W100

there's no Ramcharger on the list

·
Registered
235 Posts
I gathered that is for the rear window on a truck. Wouldn't that be too small to fit the liftgate window?

Nice thinking outside the box though, the available lockstrip would work if that one fit the hole.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It's not my idea, just trying to dig deeper because that's one of my future todos. In post #6 there's a photo from @attic.505 with number wcr1129. It looks like he used this specific seal and I'd like to confirm that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey guys sorry I checked out for a bit.

So it was very tedious and difficult to grind down that strip that's why I bought a second one. Maybe if you build a jig to hold it in place so you can grind lengths without it moving all over like it did for me is the way to go.

Now like I mentioned it was holding just fine without any licking strip with the original butal glue. But it was 30 plus years old.

They only fixed it because they damaged the original one so it was on them I wouldn't left it with no lock strip having that not happen.

But they said it was easier with the new seal. I'll get you a party number as soon as I can.

But yeah no way was the new strip fitting in the OEM seal. I really thought it was just me and was furious after hours of going at it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’m assuming both sides need grinding correct? So that its

I’m thinking a stationary belt sander, or put a belt sander in a vise or something. Run the lock strip across the belt. That might be easier than trying to hold both the strip and the sander/grinder.

I’m just spitballing here, haven’t tried it yet. Seems like there’s a few of us that need to do this one though

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep I think creativity and ingenuity are the key factors now. It did melt pretty quickly I noticed but I'm sure you guys will figure this out pretty quick. Once I got it to that smaller size it popped right in lol.
Still need to use a lot of soapy water though. It WD-40 worked too I just have a ton of decals I didn't want to damage.

Truthfully I almost wanted to take the window out completely and fab up a canvas button on type so I can remove it during the summer when wheeling lol then I just thought I will fab a canvas button on peace and just remove the entire ligate so I can roll with it however open I want.
Dropped my pipes it the sides so not too much worried about fumes anymore.

Lol but we will see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts