Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After this past weekend of rock crawling, Its time to start working with the rear suspension. For now im going to just pull the over load spring (its arched not flat) and see if my shackle is even working ;D

What i want to know is if i run chevy springs and just the rear shackle flip hangers , keeping the front stock rear hangers with it. will it be a 4 inch lift? Im going to ditch the 3 inch blocks also. I was told that chevy springs have more arch then stock dodge spring and are longer.Also will this mess up my pinion angle, or do i also need to make the front rear spring hangers.

After a few 3 wheel hand stand in my truck at sam's ranch i think its time to get this suspension a little more flexy ;D

Thanks for the help

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
You will just have to stick the stuff on and see what needs to be adjusted. I am thinking you will be ok with pinion angle and lift, but it all depends on the springs really.
Ok thanks sam, i guess i need to start working on building the shackle flip. Now if i could only find time ;D

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
you might want to find the springs first, that way if you need to offset anything due to the longer springs you can build the shackle flip to fix that. How are you going to build the shackle flip? You can use channel or box tubing to make it easier to make. But I say get the springs first then build everything around that.

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
you might want to find the springs first, that way if you need to offset anything due to the longer springs you can build the shackle flip to fix that. How are you going to build the shackle flip? You can use channel or box tubing to make it easier to make. But I say get the springs first then build everything around that.
I have a 4x8 foot sheet of 3/8 steel in my barn that i made my hangers out of and few other things. Im going to use as much as that as i can. The shackle flip might be a little different from the RCC design but it should still work. Yeah ill go and get the springs first. I plan on doing this mabe thanksgiving or christmas break. Would it help to move the mounts back so the shackle will sit going strait down instead of being at a angle with the longer springs?

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
I like to have my shackle point back some, this ensures that the shackle won't flip forward and bind up.

I wouldn't mind helping you do all this, but it would have to be in Corpus. That is where all my tools/welder/torches/chopsaw/etc are.

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
I like to have my shackle point back some, this ensures that the shackle won't flip forward and bind up.

I wouldn't mind helping you do all this, but it would have to be in Corpus. That is where all my tools/welder/torches/chopsaw/etc are.
Thanks Sam, About how many inches would you say to move it back. Ill try and make it my self and see if it works ;D Ive got a welder and the tools to make it, it just won't look pretty. about as nice as my front hangers and shackels. I hopinh this will help out my rear flex. should have it down by january and will try it out at shiloh or the Den.

Oh one more thing is the stock shackle even worth useing or should i make a bigger one?

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
You can use it if you like, but the longer the more flex it will have, to a point anyways. You don't want it too long.

You really need to get the springs and start measuring to see where you need to place everything.

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
You can use it if you like, but the longer the more flex it will have, to a point anyways. You don't want it too long.

You really need to get the springs and start measuring to see where you need to place everything.
Ok sam, ill try to get the springs soon so i can do some measurements

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like this, but on the top pic did he move the spring mount back? I like TVlarsens shackle flip better. Im not to big on using a noth mount and flipping it over i would rather make it. I also saw a few that mounted there springs under the frame. I don't think im to that stage yet ;D But i like TV setup on his rig, on the front and back. thanks for the links sam

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Yep, I bought my flip brackets from Jamie when he was making them (these were offset forward for improved shackle angle with stock springs). I boxed and gusseted them, then mounted them on the "wrong" sides (moved the mounts rearward), built 8" shackles, and used longer 56" Chevy springs.

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tv_larsen said:
Yep, I bought my flip brackets from Jamie when he was making them (these were offset forward for improved shackle angle with stock springs). I boxed and gusseted them, then mounted them on the "wrong" sides (moved the mounts rearward), built 8" shackles, and used longer 56" Chevy springs.
Do you have any more pics TV. i would appreciate it so i now how to set this up. thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
The 2" blocks I used were tapered, and I used the taper to lower the pinion. The pinion angle is still slightly higher than the driveshaft, but fine for what I use it for.

·
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This is jamies rear Shackle. It this at full flex or does the shackle slant back like that. Im just wondering how i should position the shackle and mount

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.