Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting 4" skyjacker springs on the rear of this truck I'm trying to build...1988 W150...went to get everything bolted together and according to my manual, I'm missing some kind of plate or "seat" that sits on top of the rear springs and is notched to accommodate the u-bolts to keep them in place...I don't remember this "seat"(as the manual calls it) being present on the old springs when we took it apart...now, it's been 5 years since then so my memory might be a bit foggy, but I do not remember these being there. My question is, do I need these "seats" or can the u bolts just rest on the springs themselves? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
The seat is a small plate up top that does indeed hole the U-bolts and spread the stress on the leaf spring. They are #2 in this illustration:

I wouldn't say they are strictly necessary but if you have them, I would use them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. If they were on the truck when we initially tore it down, I must've misplaced them because they are nowhere to be found now. Any ideas on where to possibly find replacements? Seems like I can find them for every vehicle but these trucks. Would 2nd gen plates fit an 88? Thanks again

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
its just a matter of size ,the  width and the space between the 2 bolts , they make a smoother/softer edge for the spring u bolt to pass over ,help prevent a stress point on the spring and help to hold the bolts even with the 13 part so when tightened they are at the shortest distance from point to point .  nice but onna pick up not mandatory

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yah just need some steel plate , drill the center hole,make notches for u bolts.  These here i made are beffie.  I know i have a stock one for your application laying around somwhere.  Ill look later and post dimensions

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
They are there to prevent wear on the leaf spring. After about a million miles the ubolt might wear a groove into the leaf which might cause a problem. Bolt those springs up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice lowell66dart and dodge82273, and Jeffy45, the stock dimensions would be great. I have some flat stock laying around that I could use to fab a couple. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
They also center the u/bolts w/ the center pin so they cannot shift.          Ill post the dimentions when i get home.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
8 and 13 has the centering for the axle its self as does 4 if you had one

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Here ya go.            Stock top plate is 1/4" thick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Lower plate shock mount, u-bolt holes center to center.        Might need to know

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey man, I appreciate the picture. Now that I see what it is, I do remember having them, and they should be hiding in the garage somewhere but if not, I should be able to get those fabbed up pretty quick. I have the lower plates with the shock mounts, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Shoot i didn't give you the stock thickness .please hold

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1/4" thick

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That works out because I have a bunch of 1/4" flat stock laying around  :D  Thanks again, dude. It's much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
Lower plate shock mount, u-bolt holes center to center. Might need to know
Your right , in this case you will find the locating hole as part of the mount ON the axle itself not on 13 just 2 4 and 8

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
No problem👍

·
Registered
758 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
Here ya go. Stock top plate is 1/4" thick
This is why RCC is the best site and I keep coming back to it (well, that and I also have 4 RC/trucks that are covered by the info on this site). Great job, Jeffy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.