Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I don't know what I am missing, my rear axle has moved allmost 4 inches foward and I cannot bolt up the axle to the leave springs b/c the drive shaft is bottoming out. I am useing a chevy hanger and mine doesn't look much different than the rest here. Can anyone shead some light on the subject? I can post pics if need be or answer questions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so here's what i got going on

this is the shackle I am useing

here is the side that isn't bolted up

here is the bottomed out drive shaft

this is the side that i have bolted up

and so here is a shot of how far foward it is now

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Did you put the springs on backwards?  The eyelet to center pin distances are not equal, the rear side is supposed to be the longer side.

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
l agree with JOE / and yes the springs are different lengths front to rear on the rears

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
To me it looks pretty normal.  The shackle flip will move the axle forward a few inches but I think that pic is compounded by the fact that there is no weight on the axle so it is drooping and swung as far forward as possible.  The angle of the shackle in the pic confirms this.  Put the weight on it and the spring will pivot on the front spring bolt, moving the axle back as the shackle shifts to the rear and also the spring will flatten out a bit which will also move the axle to the rear.

And yes, you are borderline insane if you are attempting to reuse the old U-bolts.  You NEVER reuse old axle U-bolts as the stretch to fit when torqued.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
With using regular dodge hanger it does shift the axles forward about 2 inches without doing anything to the front hanger.  I would suggest using the chevy hanger in the front of the spring.  moving the front hanger to the back of the spring.  should give less rotation of the spring, and less forward movement of the axle.

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
l,d unbolt the shackel bracket and then get the springs in the right way with the rear bolted to the springs and THEN bolt up the shackel brackets

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The rear spring is correctly mounted, front spring eye curls from the bottom up and the rear spring eye curls from the top down. I just did the shackle flip and 8" lift on my Ramcharger. My shackle flip brackets, old ones from ORD, mount the ceter of the bolt 2 3/8" down from the frame. The center ot center distance from the front to rear bracket is 49 3/4". Mine moved about 1 1/2" forward and I will be using these to move it back. eZreo Rate Lift Blocks. Looks like you can remove your current blocks, bottom of spring, and use them also. Vehicle weight will also move them back. Remove driveshaft, get everything bolted together, with new U blots, drop vehicle to the ground and then see how far forward the axle moved. You will then know if your driveshaft needs to be shortened.

http://jkwoffroad.com/offroadproducts.php

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You may also have to shorten your rear driveshaft. When I did mione I also installed a Dana 70 axle and I would have had to shorten my driveshaft about 1" that is why I am going to use the eZero Lift Blocks stated above.

Buy new U bolts as the others have said. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys thanks for all the great thoughts. But just to clear some questions up no I didn't mount the springs backwords, and no I am not going to reuse thouse old u-bolts. I just wanted to get everthing mocked up and working togeater before i spent money on new ones. I just went thought that on the front and it got quite annoying. Thank you for being honest people and making sure I know what is right and wrong. Being safe is the most important thing of wheeling. So I am going to try and move things around and see if I can get it to work. Just a silly thought would it be bad if I did mount the spring backworks? It would move the axle back a few inches? Just let me know. I check in later with a up date. 

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
1973moneypit said:
Ok guys thanks for all the great thoughts. But just to clear some questions up no I didn't mount the springs backwords, and no I am not going to reuse thouse old u-bolts. I just wanted to get everthing mocked up and working togeater before i spent money on new ones. I just went thought that on the front and it got quite annoying. Thank you for being honest people and making sure I know what is right and wrong. Being safe is the most important thing of wheeling. So I am going to try and move things around and see if I can get it to work. Just a silly thought would it be bad if I did mount the spring backworks? It would move the axle back a few inches? Just let me know. I check in later with a up date.
See my post. Springs are mounted correctly. If you mount them backwards it should move your axle 3 1/2" backward. My Ramcharger springs are 3 1/2" longer in the back. Eyelet to through bolt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I got ya, I was just wondering if mounting them backwords would be bad? It would move my axle back to where it is subpost to be. It was just a thought. I will probale just order those blocks they look like a good fix. Or maybe just swap the front hangers to the rear and the rear ones to the front and that will fix it too.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I mounted an extra set of Dodge rear spring front hangers and flipped the factory shackle. I left the factory blocks and used an add a leaf in the pack. My axle moved about 2" forward, and yes, my driveshaft bottomed. I had to get it shortened.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So yes I know my springs are in there the right way now, but would it be ok if i did move them backwords so it would move my axle back? Or is that a bad thing? I don't know? I should probaly just swap the hangers and move on. It looks like I should of waited to do this untill I was ready to put in my dana 60.... oops!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts