Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Rear Main Seal tips (update)

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  drc83 
#1 ·
I am going to try to replace the rear main seal on my RC today and after doing a search on it it looks like it might be hard to do but I don't want to take it to a shop so i am doing this myself. I have never done this before and it would be really helpful if ya'll that have done it before could share some tips or advice to make it a bit easier. What parts will I need to do this correctly ? Its a 2wd 360 if that helps any.

#2 ·
If you've done the search, then you know what to expect as this has been covered to death recently. I seem to be the one whose had the most trouble with it. Getting it started is the hardest part, but once you get the seal started to come out it will practically fall out. Might as well replace your oil pump while you're down there with a high volume one. Go ahead and get a one piece gasket for the pan as it will make it a bunch either.

#4 ·
Well that should be close. If I remember right the rear main seal set cost me $12, the oil pan gasket set cost $20(just regular cork), and the oil pump was about $30.

#6 ·
Yes, you will have more oil circulating through your engine at a faster rate than with a stock oil pump. Its generally a good idea to replace the oil pump anyways if you're going to have the pan off.

#9 ·
a high volume pump can completely drain a stock pan and leave it suckin air. air in oil system= blown motor. what i did was i went to chrysler and got the pressure spring. now i run 40psi+ at idle. as for the rear main?? the cap is a biatch to get off.... i would have done mine but i couldn't find my breaker bar to get the rear main cap off... if you want take a look at this thread.... this is mine where i asked a buttload of questions...

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=40239

#10 ·
I went with the stock replacement oil pump. I havent even started on it yet becaue nobody seams to have a rear main seal. I've tried four partstores already, that and it just started raining so this should be fun.

#11 ·
Stock pump might be best (like MoparPW200guy said). Everything I've read states that you should have an oversized pan if you go with the high volume pump (for the very reason that MoparPW200guy stated).

Just changed mine 2 weeks ago and I went with stock replacememt. Make sure you get a new screen assembly as well.

#12 ·
Yeah, I thought so. I spoke with a mechanic once that said a high volume oil pump is a crutch to hide a bigger problem. The only thing I could see a HV oil pump for is a race car or something that screams at high rpms. My oil pressure is fine at idle and over 3K rpm. ;) Not gonna touch the rear or front seals until I do the rebuild probably next year.

#13 ·
I finally got around to working on it. Everthing was easy up until I had to get the pan out from underneith the RC. After a long time of messing with the pan , I unbolted the motor from the mounts and jacked the motor up off the mounts and the pan just droped to the floor. Maybe its different on the 4X4s but this really seemed like the only way the pan was going to come out. The problem I am having now is getting the upper seal out . It doesnt seem to be the rope type everyone talks about , it looks just like the one I got at autozone. Some one want to give me a few hints on how to get that seal out.

#15 ·
Well that didn't help for me...lol, get a wood screw and screw it in the seal, then get a vise grips and clamp it on the screw and pull down as hard as you can.

#18 ·
keep pulling, thats how I got mine out, took hours and many sore muscles.

#20 ·
That seal did kick my ass. I was pulling on the screw I put in it with some visegrips when all of a sudden the visegrips sliped off it . I was pulling really hard on it when it slipped off the screw, I ended up pulling the visegrips right into my face . Right between my eyebrows and on my nose is where it got me . Both cuts bled abit and still hurt too.

#21 ·
Consider yourself fortunate if that is all that happened.

#22 ·
As a Safety Director for an automotive fastener factory I commonly see tool in the face, hand to the machine accident. I've seen teeth knocked out :-X and knuckles broken :\'( by slipped tools. I have had tool slip injuries myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.