Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help getting the upper half of the rear main seal out of the engine. I got the bottom half off with no problems, but ran into some issues trying to get the top half out. I tried pushing on it with a screw driver but I decided not to do that because I didn't want to slip up and gouge the crankshaft. I saw in my haynes manual they make reference to a tool that you screw in and pull it out with. Where can I find this tool and what are some tricks to get that nearly 20 year old dried out piece of crap rope seal out of there?

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
its called a SNEAKY PETE and its a whole kit just for changing rear main seals / its comes with the screwdriver with threads on the end to pull the seal out / and the slick little tool to install it / you would hafta ask one of the OLD timer parts guys to get one / l have not seen them for sale in years / l still have my kit from the 70,s

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you rotate the crankshaft by hand?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KThaxton said:
Okay smarty pants ;D
With a ratchet and a socket, NOT the starter!
Whats sad is that I was actually serious :-\ But I'll try that this weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
NAPA still has the sneaky pete type kit. They may have to order it. Mine consisted of an aluminum (softer than steel) screw eye where the shaft was about 6 inches long. It threads itself into the rope seal a ways and then has enough bite to pull the rest of the crap out of there. It worked for me! If you don't want to spend for the whole kit, you can use some type of wood screw with large coarse threads to do the same thing. I recc the screw eye approach as you have something to yank on!

Make sure you get the two piece neoprene rubber seal to replace that disgustingly bad joke Ma Mopar played on us. The sneaky pete kit will come with a t-handled tool. At the end are several loops of small diameter braided wire. You thread the loops up and over the crank journal and then place the end of the upper seal in amongst the loops and pull. It will slide right in. Make sure it is oriented the correct way and use a bit (clean) engine oil to help it on its way.

If you have any more problems post back and we will try and help. I just did this on my 2wd 318 about three months ago. Once I had the right tools my pounding migrane headache went away!

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
v737d said:
NAPA still has the sneaky pete type kit. They may have to order it.
Thanks for the tip, I just called and suprisingly they have one in stock so I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. Came out to $31 or something like it. I figure when I'm done I can just sell it to my brother who is going to school to be a mechanic because I probably wouldn't need it again ;D

G

·
I used a wood screw and a pair of pliers. screw the screw in a litte bit pull on the screw with the plires and then repeat teh procedure until the rope is out. Real easy and cheap.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to do that, but maybe I had the wrong kind of screw. It didn't want to thread in and I didn't want to risk slipping and dinging up the crankshaft. But I just went ahead and bought the kit...

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got that special tool and all the damn thing did was break in 2 as I was threading it into the seal. :mad: So I got a long wood screw and threaded it in and got a vise grip and locked it on the wood screw. Well i went and started spinning the crank slowly while my dad pulled on the visegrips. Nothing. It didn't budge a fraction of anything. I even tried it again after I loosened a couple more of the bearing caps towards the rear, nothing. So short of dropping the crank, is there anything else that I can try to get it out?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We tried that too...He ended up pulling a muscle in his shoulder from pushing so hard.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Soak the damn thing overnight in your choice of penetrating lube and see if that helps. I'm surprised (but feel for you) that the tool/wood screw bit didn't work. That sucks.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anybody else have any other ideas. I am still struggling to get this thing out. I've loosen all the bearing caps accept the front 2 to try to take some pressure off of the rear main seal to pull it out, but it isn't budging at all. I talked to a mechanic about it and he said that I probably have to un bolt the trans and pull it back just enough to let the crank drop down but that is a last resort kinda thing. Any other bright ideas for getting this thing out?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts