Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the lock on the lift gate for my 88 RC is frozen. I'm not totally sure what the issue with it is. I have taken it apart and nothing appears to be jammed or anything, it just refuses to lock. Anybody have issue like this, or know of any fixes?

p.s. i have tried using graphite in the lock, it didn't help any.

·
Registered
652 Posts
got the same problem i just don't worry about it.

nothing in there is worth stealing except my tool bag and the truck is not exactly on the most stolen list.

Besides typically there is a 60 lb dog in there that most people don't like to F%^& with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
both of yall feel blessed i have owned 2 ramchargers neither even came with the key to the back gate

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
gm dealers sell a lock lube release that works amazing

·
Registered
96 Posts
lucky ive owned 2 ramchargers and my luck neither has even came with the key to the back hatch

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
klide200 said:
So the lock on the lift gate for my 88 RC is frozen. I'm not totally sure what the issue with it is. I have taken it apart and nothing appears to be jammed or anything, it just refuses to lock. Anybody have issue like this, or know of any fixes?

p.s. i have tried using graphite in the lock, it didn't help any.
Pull the lock assembly out and soak it in penetrating oil. Both my Ramchargers I had did have the lock and key. An 82 I had was frozen up. I soaked it and it opened up an worked.

Did you take the actual lock and tumbler apart???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No didn't pull the tumbler and all that apart. I figured i'm not a locksmith so I'm not gonna mess with that stuff. Where would one get penetrating oil?

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
WD 40, PB Blaster, Seafoam DeepCreep, solvent, kerosene, diesel fuel etc.

Usually the local parts store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts