Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 11-17 I am getting the rusted sections cut out of my 88 RC and some replacement repair panels welded in. Two on the right side and one on the left. The shop wants me to remove the interior rear inside "cardboard" panels on both sides (behind spare tire on right side and the one the interior lights are on on the left side). They want to make certain that there is nothing to catch fire and to be able to get to it incase something were to flame up. My question is how are the panels attached. I think I have to remove the plastic molding around the rear side windows,but do the panels have the same things like door panels that you have to pop out carefully with a wide blade screwdriver? I don't want to tear anything up.

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
yup they pop right off like a door panel after you remove the trim around the windows / BUT l,ve welded patch panels on without removing them / the shop is being over carefull / which mite be a good thing but extra work for you

·
Registered
725 Posts
damn it I just answered this post in the open disc section....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Their's no need to remove the interior panels. You have the outside sheetmetal, and just like a pickup, their's another piece of sheetmetal on the inside. If you craw under the back, you can see the space between the two. But, if they are both rusted out, yes, remove the interior and have that fixed as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I found out there are fastners that hold the interior panels on the metal. It was two at the tailgate end and one below the seatbelt adjuster, so anyboby that is taking the panels off, don't go just ripping and pulling. Around and over the wheel wells is a bit difficult because there are spring clips attached to the three sheet metal strips bolted to the wheel wells and they keeps the panels in place. I found it easier to remove the strips then remove the strips from the panels after they were out of the RC. And there is nothing to catch fire back there, but at least I know. I am going to put fiberglass insulation behind the panel when I put it back in. When I took the large pieces of plastic trim from around the windows, I found that my head linercloth has come loose from the board in the roof, so a new headliner is in order. I also may put insulation over the headliner when I get it replaced. The trim around the right window was cracked when I got the RC and that type thing bothers me. There are none available thru Dodge(according to my parts manager) so I fiberglassed the inside of the trim with one layer of fiberglass. When that cures for a day or so I am going to lay in two more layers so that it won't break or pull apart. If anyone has the red, right rear trim piece to sell ,I'd like to see about buying it or I could get another color and get it dyed the right color.

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
yup they pop right off like a door panel after you remove the trim around the windows / BUT l,ve welded patch panels on without removing them / the shop is being over carefull / which mite be a good thing but extra work for you
thats pretty much what l said ealier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts