Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to rig up a power lock solenoid for the rear hatch? Might be a cool mod.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
its been done, but i cant for the life of me remember who did it....

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
hell the solenoids are under $2 on ebay, buy it now.

cant go wrong for that price. you can try it out your self

seems like this would be much like power trunk release.

thats an old street rodder trick. take a power solenoid from a caddy or lincoln (only because they re more likely to have power trunk) and rig them to doors and shave handles.

so yes if they can make a trunk release work on a door, it ll work on a hatch.

my dad did it to his bonneville but i didnt actually watch the whole procedure

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I did it on my '85, and I have one for the '89, but that's going in when I do the power locks. I'll do a how-to for it. You don't use a lock motor, it's a magnetic solenoid (just like the aftermarket shaved handle poppers) I had posted pics a while ago of the completed install on the '85, but I can't seem to find them.. Do posts in the VH and tech forums get purged?? ??? ???

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that mod to be used to open the hatch or to lock it? I jus twant to be able to unlock the hatch with my lock button on the drivers door.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ohhhh I see what you want... You're thinking of the tailgate locks.. It would work on a '74-'80 becuase it's a standard tailgate with a standard tailgate latch.

This opens the hatch.. Unfortunately, because of the way the lock works on the '81 and up (single piece hatch), you can't do what you're thinking of without some wild modifications to the latch assembly. However, if you do the "hatch popper", you can just leave the cylinder locked, and pop it with a keyless entry, or a botton inside the cab (or both)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ok, I took some more pics of the setup in my '85. As soon as I have a couple extra hours, I'm going to do the how-to on the '89.

Here's the solenoid from the left:

And from the right:

Here's how it attaches to the locking lever:

And the bottom view:

It's a little tricky to drill the hole for this hook in the right place, because of how the lock works. It took me 3 tries to get it to pop every time.

I have it hooked to a button on the dash, and the keyless, so the key actually stays locked and I can open it very easily. You could even put a button on the side panel in the cargo area, in case people ride back there - They just push the button to get out.

The factory latch cover won't fit over the solenoid, so you'd have to make a little box to cover it. (if it bothers you)

The step-by-step will be submitted in a couple weeks...

Matt {peace}

1 - 7 of 7 Posts