Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... so a few questions, but first I am trying to open the rear hatch. The lock is in the vertical position indicating unlocked. The push button goes all the way in but no open!!

I bought it with no key.. I know im a dumbass! I want it to open for the present I don't care about the "locking" part. Is there a way to open it with out destroying anything?

Also it looks like the lock has a electrical lead on it.. what is that for?
Pics of the lock are coming soon. My phone wont upload!!

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Yeah, unscrew the little panel in the center on the inside of the liftgate and then pull on the lever with the square hole in it. As you can see in the pic below, I usually drill a hole in the cover and tie a piece of wire around the lever so I can open the hatch from the inside:

·
Registered
32,108 Posts
yup and then pull the clip remove the lock [throw away because its not fixable] and use you finger to open it after that

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Nah, a good locksmith should be able to make a key for it.

·
Registered
32,108 Posts
Elwenil said:
Nah, a good locksmith should be able to make a key for it.
its a sealed lock / gotta destroy it to get it apart

NOTE / the chrome trim ring is pressed on that holds it together / you gotta unpress it [l,ve never been able to do it without ruining it ] to get it apart and there is NO key code on it

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
That's why I said a GOOD locksmith.  Chrysler has the key codes for some models, though the liftgate code coverage is sporadic.  Still a good locksmith should be able to make an impression and file a key though many locksmiths today do not have the skill.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
I was in the same situation.  Took the lock off, took into a local locksmith I had used before, they made me a key for it.  Cost me $15.
By the way, the lock should be in the horizontal position for unlock.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
There is nothing missing.  The wiring is for the switch that turns the cargo lamps on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Elwenil said:
That's why I said a GOOD locksmith. Chrysler has the key codes for some models, though the liftgate code coverage is sporadic. Still a good locksmith should be able to make an impression and file a key though many locksmiths today do not have the skill.
90% of the time there is a code stamped on the side of the lock cyl case. This is the code to cut the key. Mine came w/o a key as well, so I took that panel apart, typed the keycode in the machine here at the dealer, put an "RA-4" key blank in and 2 minutes later I had a working key for my lock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn.. their seems to be no reason why this is not working!! WTF..  that metal nipple is going in and out of the square hole but nothing is allowing me to open the door..
On a side note I will try and get that number off of the lock.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
If the lock is locked, you aren't going to be able to open it from the outside without a key.  From inside, you just pull on that gold colored lever with the square hole in it and it releases the latches.

·
Registered
32,108 Posts
JIMACHUFF said:
Damn.. their seems to be no reason why this is not working!! WTF.. that metal nipple is going in and out of the square hole but nothing is allowing me to open the door..
On a side note I will try and get that number off of the lock.
that means its LOCKED / the Nipple should PUSH the bracket with the square hole to OPEN the gate

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Jolly Green Giant said:
Will El's wire "inside latch" trick open a locked liftgate too? As soon as mine's home I'm getting out my drill ;D
Take off the interior access panel. Pull on the lever at the bottom with the square hole. That will open the hatch.
Then you can figure out where you want to drill your hole in the cover like El did on his and tie a wire or something around the lever.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
JIMACHUFF said:
Here is a pic. I think I am missing something on the vehicle Side.. but not sure.. anyway.. what are the leads for?
You'll probably want to take the rods off the sides. I took the rods off, then the 4 screws holding the latch on and took the latch out to get better access to the lock itself. Took a little bit of wiggling around to get the latch out. Then there's a clip that holds the lock to the outer shell. Fairly easy to take off, can be a PITA to put back on. At least it was for me. Should be about a 5-10 minute job to get the lock out and about 10-15 to put back in. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
If you can't find a locksmith to make you a new key (I'd be surprised if you can't), new locks w/ key can be had.  But last time I checked they were kind of pricey.

·
Super Moderator
29,773 Posts
Jolly Green Giant said:
Will El's wire "inside latch" trick open a locked liftgate too? As soon as mine's home I'm getting out my drill ;D
Yup, works great if you camp in your Ramcharger and sleep in the back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.