Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to run Rear leafs on the front of their R/Cs? My friend and me decided to measure the leafs on the old RC, and we figured that if we put the rear springs on the front, we would only have to move one of the mounts 4 inches either way. The springs on the front measure 48" with the axle centered at 24 inches. The rear springs measure 52", and the axle is still 24 inches from the front of the spring, that leaves 28 inches behind the axle.
We figure there are two ways to make this work. First we could put the rear leaves on as is, but then we would have to move the rear shackle back 4 inches. Unfortunately, this places the shackle right below the body mount, which could be made to work.
The second way to do this would be to turn the leaf around, and move the front mount forward 4 inches. the only concievable problem I can see with this is that the (new)front of the leaf would have the wrap going the wrong way. the front leaf now comes from the bottom of the bushing loop, and if we turned the rear around the leaf would come from the top of the wrap.
So has anybody done this?
Whats your opinions on the subject?
Any reasons besides "Murphy's law" why it wont work?
Thanks,
C.J.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes, a few people have done things like this because the longer rear spring will let you flex better. You would not want to turn the spring around though, because that would affect the way the spring works. On our trucks, the part of the spring in front of the center pin controls foward movement and spring wrap (torque control). The area behind the center pin controls ride quality and the weight capacity. Its best to have the front short and the back long for the best ride, weight capacity, and torque control.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I have no idea which way would be better, but try it and see what happens and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
I've been planning on doing this swap. I haven't measured everything out yet, but I think it might be done by just making a long rear shackle and not moving anything else. This would make the shackle angle way back which could greatly increase axle droop for articulation. I wouldn't do this with stock steering though, it would probably demand cross over steering.

·
Registered
422 Posts
tv_larsen said:
This would make the shackle angle way back which could greatly increase axle droop for articulation.
I've thought about this also, but how would such a drastic angle on the shackle effect on highway performance?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if you drop the shackle too much it will change your caster angles and make steering a b*tch. Of course, shims could solve that real quick.
As for the steep angle of the shackle if you just extend it, it would allow for more droop, but it wouldnt compress worth a damn. It would end up hitting on the frame and posibly breaking something.

Anybody seen a recent Petersons 4 Wheel Offroad? They put a long leaf kit on a blazer. They used 7 inch longer springs and they ended up putting the shackle mount right under the body mount. Since that part of the frame is lower than the stock mounting location, plus they used longer shackles, they had to get a 4 degree shim to fix the steering. I think something similar would hold true for us.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to buy the right spring? Or are you just like me and have to do something because it's different and the parts are lying around? :) :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kyot, The "right spring" in my case, is the cheapest thing I can find. Plus I just like to do it because its different.
Anybody can buy a lift kit, but I think a "How-to" on building your own lift kit would help out a lot of people on this site.
C.J.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You could do like PJTPW did. He put 52" springs from a Chevy on his truck, and he moved the front mount foward, which moved the axle 3" foward in the end, which improved his approach angle. I'm not sure what the front section of the chevy 52" rear sping measures though.

Also, arn't Dodge rear springs only 51", not 52? maybe I measured wrong.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not too worried about one inch, but you're probably right, my rear springs are pretty hammered. They have one extra leaf in them plus an add-a-leaf kit. Im trying to not move the axle, cause I dont want to have to get new driveshafts made.
C.J.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
CJ's84RC said:
kyot, The "right spring" in my case, is the cheapest thing I can find. Plus I just like to do it because its different.
Anybody can buy a lift kit, but I think a "How-to" on building your own lift kit would help out a lot of people on this site.
C.J.
{cool}

1 - 12 of 12 Posts