Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i'm thinking of running rear disk brakes on my truck, the whole kits are like 500 bucks online, i can get the parts cheaper elsewhere but i still want to keep my E brake, what can i do to still keep it but not buy the kit? different calipers? i'm told some cadilliac ones will work with an E brake but i dunno. any ideas? one of my ideas is to use a drum E brake out of an M37 which runs off the back of the transfer, but that would take a little more work.
shawn

G

·
take a chain about 10 feet long, wrap one end around the rear bumper and one end to a cinder block..... theres your emergency brake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen several articles on a setup that uses a small caliper and rotor mounted behind the yoke on your chunk. Don't recall how much it costs though.
M.O.P.A.R. = My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You can go about it by way of the caddy eldo calipers, or the pinion mount caliper, or the secondary mount caliper for e-brakes just a small caliper that mounts to the rear like the main braking caliper

G

·
If you uuse the caddy calipers you need them from 76-78 after that they are too small to fit the vented rotors.

·
Registered
568 Posts
what axle?

If you like to tinker and fabricate then do what you like. There's likely a bolt-on kit that'll do the same thing for ya. My disc swap was almost completely bolt-on and took the better part of 1 day. It uses caddy calipers. It's simple and effective. If you're a wheeler I'd think that having a rotor on your tailshaft or pinion is going to be susceptible to being whacked and busted. I'd stick with a caliper with integrated parking brake if I were you.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
TSM makes a kit and it takes a few hours if your slow to finish it

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
the only thing i would worry about is over long term usage. what if the company goes out of bussiness and you need a new rotor 5years from now? i heard that some new yorkers had them. or swap out a ford 9" with disks from a few big boats that needed them.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
TSM makes the brackets and put together the kit of what works and all is available from calipers to rotors

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
tsm parts are eally bought at your local auto zone the rotors are from a ford and the pads are from a eldrodo

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
check out www.desertfab.com under driveline they make em complete for 67-75 dana 60's i didn't think there was a change so i called him, he's looking into a setup for my truck told him i got an 85. he's supposed to call me back about it, but i'll call him again probably friday. theres also people on ebay that make the brackets and then you just use GM rotors and calipers. i think i'm just gonna order the brackets and make my own set up due to the 450 price tag with out E brake.
shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does anyone know of a company that would make a pinion brake? eldorado calipers are gettin kind of rare due to the age, there has to be a newer easily availible caliper that has an E brake intigrated. i'm gonna research this more before i buy any parts.
shawn

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Overkill said:
tsm parts are eally bought at your local auto zone the rotors are from a ford and the pads are from a eldrodo
The rotors on mine are from a ford the calipers however are 3/4 ton front x calipers on my rears

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a new member, but have been playing around Dodge Trucks and R/C for over 15 years.
I have an '87 D60 Rear, and I am planning a disc brake conversion. I researched for hours and decided to go the following route:
Used rear '77 Cady Eldo calipers-$25.00 from J/Y. (Hard to find but be paitent)
New '82 Chebby K20 front rotors off a D44 $25.00 from Autozone.
New Front brake hoses from a '79 Dodge W150-$12.99 ea from Autozone.
New wheel studs (16)-$.89 from Autozone.
Used front caliper brackets from an '82 Chebby K20-$7.50 from J/Y.
Front brake hose mounting tabs from a '79 Dodge W150-$2.00 from J/Y.
Rear brake cable from '77 Cadilac Eldo-$10.00 from J/Y

I did not have time to install this. I got stationed in Japan, so the installation will have to wait until I return. When I do install, I will take pictures, and try to post it in the "How To's" section.
I plan to cut and drill the Chevy Caliper brackets, and weld a 1/2 spacer to the backside, and use 3 bolts to mount the axle flange.

I did not want to spend alot of coin, and have rear disc brakes. I mocked all of this setup at the J/Y, and this is the way I found to make it work. I do not like using Chebby parts, but haven't tried to see if Dodge front rotors will work.

Has anyone tried this?, or have any other ideas? If this will work, you'll have disc brakes for less than $150.00.

Manny

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah i am not to thrilled with the 3 bolts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
how hard would it be to adapt the old Imperial rear disc brakes to the RC differential? Then they're Mopar parts, and has an E-brake provision. Imperial was no lightweight, so the brakes should be able to handle the RC.
Aaron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some of the kits I've seen offered have only three bolts. TSM has a kit that has multi peices brackets http://www.tsmmfg.com/2680.htm I was thinking I could always weld the brackets to the flange. I've seen it done an a D60 put in an Isuzu. That is were I got the idea of using the Chebby caliper brackets. I don't like the idea of a 3/8 in bracket holding the caliper to the vehicle without any other support.

I haven't seent he brake setup off an Imperial. Might have to research it and see what that is about.
Manny

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.