Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed several threads on folks that have bought kits for Rear disk brake conversions.
I was hoping someone who has one (not installed yet) would trace the plates for the kit and some pics would also be great.
I'd like to build test it and do a "how to" for it.

Thanks Rod

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I just figured for $50 it wasn't worth my time and hassel to worry about it. It would take me probably about 4 hours of cutting and work from scratch to get everything perfect, or I could just spend the money and bolt them right on the first time.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
I just figured for $50 it wasn't worth my time and hassel to worry about it. It would take me probably about 4 hours of cutting and work from scratch to get everything perfect, or I could just spend the money and bolt them right on the first time.
Those don't just bolt right up the first time.

However, the ebay member greatlakesoffroad makes ready to use out of the box brackets now.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
RAMMAN4 said:

However, the ebay member greatlakesoffroad makes ready to use out of the box brackets now.
I will vouch for the brackets from greatlakesoffroad. I just purchased a set and installed the disk brakes over the weekend. Big difference in stopping and just the way it feels. I love it. THe brackets fit great and I only had a little grinding to do on the caliper on the passenger side to get it to fit. I used Sam's parts list on his how to and I had maybe 2 hours from the time I took the first wheel off to putting the last wheel back on and getting the brakes bleed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ramit87 said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
RAMMAN4 said:

I will vouch for the brackets from greatlakesoffroad. I just purchased a set and installed the disk brakes over the weekend. Big difference in stopping and just the way it feels. I love it. THe brackets fit great and I only had a little grinding to do on the caliper on the passenger side to get it to fit. I used Sam's parts list on his how to and I had maybe 2 hours from the time I took the first wheel off to putting the last wheel back on and getting the brakes bleed.
That's sounds great! Ebay - gotta love it ;D
Thanks guys

G

·
Dodge78 said:
What did you use for a proportioning valve?
My conversion was to an 88. I used the stock proportioning valve and added a 2lb residule valve. Brakes work well and have a firm feel to the pedal.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I do not have a prop valve. Mine was bad so I just took it out. No ill effects to the brakes and it works very well. Granted if the master cylinder goes bad I could have problems but I will be addressing it later.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What about brackets for a 9 1/4" rear end. I have thought of doing this, but making my own brackets. The front rotors for I think it was an 80 F150 would work. I will have to check into the rotors at work again, but I still need a bracket.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The problem with doing a rear disk brake swap on a 9.25 is the rotors are hard to find where the bolt on directly. I spent a few hours at autozone on year going through their boxes of rotors that had similar diminsions, but only found one that was close, but it would still need to be machined. I was gonna use stock dodge front rotors, but the inside of the rotor is so small that I would have to have the axle flange turned down, but that would leave the lugs about 3/16ths from the edge of the flange. In my personal opinion that is not enough to support a vehicle of that weight. The new 2002+ dodge 1/2 ton rear rotors will bolt on perfectly, but they are 13 inches in diameter. If you are running 15 inch wheels they will not work because there is no room for the calipers. If you are running 16s, maybe and for sure with 16.5s or 17s. I think dodge only wanted $40 each for them brand new. You might be able to find a 2002+ 1/2 ton in a junk yard and get the brackets, rotors, calipers and everything else needed and just bolt it right on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:

Sam I could not find a ebay user with that handle - can you send me his email (if you have it) address?

spacemeat said:
someone can draw it up in a CAD program and save to PDF at a 1:1 scale. then anyone who prints the PDF at 100% gets it right as long as the printer handles that paper size
Spacemeat, I can do this - but I need a hand tracing (stencil) to have a place to start.

RAMMAN4 said:
The problem with doing a rear disk brake swap on a 9.25 is the rotors are hard to find where the bolt on directly. I spent a few hours at autozone on year going through their boxes of rotors that had similar diminsions, but only found one that was close, but it would still need to be machined. I was gonna use stock dodge front rotors, but the inside of the rotor is so small that I would have to have the axle flange turned down, but that would leave the lugs about 3/16ths from the edge of the flange. In my personal opinion that is not enough to support a vehicle of that weight. The new 2002+ dodge 1/2 ton rear rotors will bolt on perfectly, but they are 13 inches in diameter. If you are running 15 inch wheels they will not work because there is no room for the calipers. If you are running 16s, maybe and for sure with 16.5s or 17s. I think dodge only wanted $40 each for them brand new. You might be able to find a 2002+ 1/2 ton in a junk yard and get the brackets, rotors, calipers and everything else needed and just bolt it right on.
I like your idea of staying with dodge parts and I am running 16" wheels - and hopfully soon 16.5"
couldn't a bracket bolt up to the same flange the drum system bolts on to? should be strong enough since it was strong enough for the drums.
-Rod

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Didn't the Imperials with 4 wheel disk ABS system use the 9 1/4 rear ends.. ?? I know there won't me many in the JY, but perhaps it'd be a list of parts to look at. Especially the proportioning valve, master cylinder.

G

·
TSM uses a lincoln brake rotor machined to fit the Dodge flange. Have you tried looking at the rotors for 2001 and up 1500 Dodges? They are still using the 9 1/4 axle with disc brakes onthe back.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
gmule said:
TSM uses a lincoln brake rotor machined to fit the Dodge flange. Have you tried looking at the rotors for 2001 and up 1500 Dodges? They are still using the 9 1/4 axle with disc brakes onthe back.
Exactly what I was suggesting, but you would have to have at least 16s or 16.5s because of the size of that rotor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts