Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
aint gotta change anything you line one side up and bolt it down, then "com a long" the other spring IN to get the other side to line up , yes it puts the springs in a bind , but l,ve seen and heard of 100's of people do'ing it

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not to get too far off topic, but here goes....

What needs to be changed to put a 14 bolt under a ramcharger? Just the spring perches?

A coworker of mine has a 14 rear and a D60 front with 4.88s that used to be in his lifted Blazer and he is trying to sell them both. I have no real use for them right now, but batted around picking them up for the future.
The rear 14 bolt will need the spring perches moved, as Dean said the front 60 will technically bolt in with a bit of finangaling. Id pick them up if his price is reasonable...around here a GM 60 front is 1500-1700

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
I would have no problem running a full floating 14 bolt rear.
I would have no problem running a full floating 14 bolt rear.
...and really, Dana axles are Dana axles, just in a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge configurations - neither are 'brand' specific' but rather 'chassis specific', and most can't tell a Chevy D60 from a Dodge. I've got a high=pinion kingpion D60 up front (from a Ford - the only mfg with such a config) and a 14b rear (from an 03 Chevy, the only one with factory discs and e-brakes and pinion armor). Ya do what ya need to do either with what ya have or what ya want/need. Just don't put a non-Mopar engine in a Mopar - I draw the line there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The rear 14 bolt will need the spring perches moved, as Dean said the front 60 will technically bolt in with a bit of finangaling. Id pick them up if his price is reasonable...around here a GM 60 front is 1500-1700
I haven’t asked about price yet. Honestly don’t need that steep of gears for what I want to do, but the axles are local and if cheap enough...

·
Registered
335 Posts
...and really, Dana axles are Dana axles, just in a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge configurations - neither are 'brand' specific' but rather 'chassis specific', and most can't tell a Chevy D60 from a Dodge. I've got a high=pinion kingpion D60 up front (from a Ford - the only mfg with such a config) and a 14b rear (from an 03 Chevy, the only one with factory discs and e-brakes and pinion armor). Ya do what ya need to do either with what ya have or what ya want/need. Just don't put a non-Mopar engine in a Mopar - I draw the line there.
Nothing irritates me more than seeing a 30s or 40s Plymouth or Dodge with a SBC.

Like why don’t you just piss on Walter Chrysler’s grave...

·
Registered
907 Posts
As a Mopar fan at heart the also owns a Chevy I can tell you this, and I suspect this is the reason for so many SBCs, you can buy parts literally anywhere. Walk into your local autozone or oreilys and you can basically rebuild a SBC in the parking lot. As I said I much prefer Mopar but I can see why so many go Chevy powerplants.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As a Mopar fan at heart the also owns a Chevy I can tell you this, and I suspect this is the reason for so many SBCs, you can buy parts literally anywhere. Walk into your local autozone or oreilys and you can basically rebuild a SBC in the parking lot. As I said I much prefer Mopar but I can see why so many go Chevy powerplants.
I was watching a show once where the builder started with a cab and a frame of a 72 style chevy truck. Both were bare shells. They built the entire truck and bed from a catalog. When you see one of our trucks in mint condition, we know the owner went thru a lot of painstaking work, research, and bone yards to get it that way. They were definitely not an arm chair catalog shopper.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The Chevy 3/4-ton rear spring spacing is ~1" less than Dodge. That distance can be fudged with spring wrestling and/or lift blocks. Some folks actually claim direct-fit.

The Chevy 1-ton spacing is ~3" less though... that's a move perches job.

Its easier to put the Dodge 60 in the Chevy than vice-versa. Springs with some arch will pull together better. Almost impossible with something flat & sturdy like cummins leafs.

Reactions: TheBohunk
41 - 49 of 49 Posts