Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88' RC that is due for a makeover. I'm planning to get something a little more fuel efficient to just drive around so I want to start upgrading certain components of my RC to make it the 4x4 that I want. First thing is the rear axel, this is because my 9.25 has been giving me trouble for a while. I am thinking that I will either use a Dana 70 or a GM 14-bolt. I would prefer the 14-bolt because of how popular they have become which means that there is more parts available.
Do you guys and gals know if this is doable, and if so can ya tell me what is involved.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Also are u gonna go to lower gears as well ? The dana 60 has about everything built for it aswell . U will need new U - bolts and nuts . Also new U- joints .

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The benefits of switching to a GM 14 bolt is that they are very abundent so prices should be low, but to swap it into a Dodge will require you to spend some money and time making the mods nessary, so it will fit the non-GM application.

Although the GM 14 Bolt popularity is increasing, the Dana line of axles has them beat for parts availability. Also if you can find a Dana 70 from a 90-93 Dodge truck, it will be a bolt in swap with no mods other than upsizing the rest of the braking system. (Which you'd have to do with the GM14B anyway)

You can go even bigger than both 70 and 14B with a Dana 80 from a newer Ram.

Ed

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
BrianT said:
Hell Dana 60 rears are a dime a dozen and way better than 14 bolt .
dana 60 better than 14 bolt? thats a laugh. the 14bolt is equal or greater than a 70. the only way a dana 60 is better is it has one hell of an aftermarket. Spokanite, do u have a 8 lug front axle as well? u will need to get one, or carry 2 spares.

Duane

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Let me get this right, you want to up your fuel economy by swapping in 1 ton axles? Hows that gonna work?

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
U R right man it will be adding alot of dead weight if you go with bigger axles and bigger rubber . You will be adding around 400 lbs depending on what size tires u run . To save fuel small rubber is better . And stock axles . Actually having a good running engine and tranny that does not slip alot is better for fuel milage than what u are thing about doing the upgrade will be niuce if you off road alot

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
Let me get this right, you want to up your fuel economy by swapping in 1 ton axles? Hows that gonna work?
He never said anything about getting better fuel economy with the truck. He is looking to make this the truck he has always wanted in the mean time is going to get a fuel efficient car, making the truck a play toy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Oh, I read it wrong, woops! ::)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts