Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my computer just randomly shuts down and restarts. i can be doing any thing online or off. i then noticed it seems to leave me alone for a while if i unplug phone line and replug. is this some one using my IP# and netbus? any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Joe, this may not be the problem you are having, but I had a 'puter do that once (it would reboot 2-3 times a night). It ended up being a flakey stick of RAM. I had two sticks in the machine, so I pulled one and ran it for a couple days with no problems. As soon as I put it back in, it started randomly restarting.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
True TV, certain funky combinations of memory (or anything else) can cause problems like that. In my experience, systems shutting down randomly is usually caused by faulty power management driver and/or hardware. Try disabling this in BIOS, and remove any software (excluding default Windows drivers) that relates to this.

If that doesn't work, try the elimination process. Pull a board or DIMM, and use it long enough the see if the problem continues. Another thing to check is your power supply. If you're overloading it's wattage capacity (multiple drives, CD's, etc.), the mother board might be sensing less than 12V at times, and assuming a shutdown is in progress.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
When you first power on you computer, the on-board BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) initiates the system checks, memory, etc. Usually, there will be a message that says something like "Press DEL to enter setup", or F1, ESC, whatever. Once you do this, you'll enter the BIOS setup area.

In there, you be looking for something like "Power Management Features", or the like. Unless I know what motherboard and BIOS you have, I can't be more specific. Basically, you want to DISABLE any features that have to do with power management. Let me know what you find out.

And feel free to email me direct if you continue to have problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts